Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Jesse Yang <jy...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/13 06:31:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Enable GitHub Discussions?

Dear Superset community,

During the last Superset meetup, we had a discussion on GitHub Discussions <https://github.blog/2020-05-06-new-from-satellite-2020-github-codespaces-github-discussions-securing-code-in-private-repositories-and-more/>. This is a feature GitHub announced in May which has been in open beta for the last couple of months. Many open source projects have since adopted it (including some apache projects, Airflow <https://github.com/apache/airflow/discussions>, Couchdb <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/discussions>, MXNet <https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/discussions>, and many others such as Next.js <https://github.com/vercel/next.js/discussions>, Gatsby <https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby/discussions> and Strapi <https://github.com/strapi/strapi/discussions>).

With Github Discussions, users can start casual conversations, ask questions and get help from the community in a discussion board, similar to what they are now able to do with Slack <https://apache-superset.slack.com/join/shared_invite/zt-g8lpruog-HeqpgYrwdfrD5OYhlU7hPQ#/>, StackOverflow <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/superset+apache-superset>, or this mailing list.

The main difference is that Discussions is more tightly integrated with the GitHub repo and a developer's everyday workflow therefore more accessible and discoverable. It has many useful features such as categories, upvotes and indented thread view, which all makes organizing and discovering conversations easier. By moving casual conversations to a new forum, it also frees up GitHub Issues for actual TODOs and bug reports so that committers can track work progress more efficiently.

This email is a call for discussion/vote on whether we should enable this feature for Superset. Note that per Apache policy, such forum "can only be used for user help issues, all code-related discussions and project management activities (will still) be reflected to an ASF mailing list" [1]. During the meetup, someone also raised the concern that this new venue of conversations may split committer attention and lead to slower responses. But one may argue since developers already use GitHub everyday, the attention may not split that much anyway. Other than that, I personally don't see any major downside.

Please feel free to voice your support or concerns one way or another.

Thanks,
Jesse

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20772 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20772>

Re: [DISCUSS] Enable GitHub Discussions?

Posted by Jesse Yang <jy...@gmail.com>.
INFRA ticket created: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21195

Posted by Tai Dupree <ta...@apache.org>.

Posted by Srinivasa Kadamati <sr...@preset.io>.

Posted by Bence Orlai <be...@orlai.com>.
+1

Posted by yongjie zhao <yo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Gaspar <dp...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jesse Yang <jy...@gmail.com>.
On freeing up GitHub Issues, I'd also like to note that it is possible to convert existing issues to discussion threads:

So we can free up Issues right away once this feature is enabled!

If no further objections by the end of next Tuesday, I'll ask Apache INFRA for help to set this up for us.

--
Jesse

Posted by Ville Brofeldt <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krist Wongsuphasawat <kr...@gmail.com>.