Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Phil Pinkerton <pc...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/11 16:42:20 UTC

How to Maintain "timestamp" in Repository & Working copy ?

I have a request to keep the "commit" timestamps associated with the
file in the working copy the same.

Is that possible ? most users have their working copy on a Windows OS ,
Subversion Server is on a Unix Server ( not that that matters ).

Is there a parameter in TortoiseSVN perhaps ?

Re: How to Maintain "timestamp" in Repository & Working copy ?

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Phil Pinkerton <pc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 11:58 AM, Andy Levy wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:48, Phil Pinkerton<pc...@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> "#global-ignores"="*.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store"
>>> "#log-encoding"=""
>>> "#use-commit-times"=""<  -------------------    Set this to yes and drop
>>> the
>>> comment I suppose will do the trick
>>> "#no-unlock"=""
>>> "#enable-auto-props"=""
>>
>> Note that because the setting is in HCU, it will need to be set for
>> *each user* who might be doing things on this server. This holds true
>> for setting it in %APPDATA%\Subversion\config as well.
>>
>> Settings in the registry will override %APPDATA%\Subversion
>> configuration settings (that's my experience, anyway); specifying it
>> at the command line (see my other reply) should trump both.
>>
> Too bad there is not a global way to set this

You can also set it system-wide (i.e. applying to all users on that
particular client machine), both on Windows and on *nix. On Windows,
either through the registry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Tigris.org\Subversion\Config\Miscellany,
or in the %APPDATA% of the default user (I think).

But it's still a client-side setting, you have to configure it on each client.

See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.6/svn.advanced.confarea.html.

--
Johan

Re: How to Maintain "timestamp" in Repository & Working copy ?

Posted by Phil Pinkerton <pc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Pinkerton <pc...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/2011 10:48 AM, Tony Sweeney wrote:

use-commit-times
Normally your working copy files have timestamps that reflect the last
time they were touched by any process, whether your
own editor or some svn subcommand. This is generally convenient for
people developing software, because build systems often
look at timestamps as a way of deciding which files need to be recompiled.
In other situations, however, it's sometimes nice for the working copy
files to have timestamps that reflect the last time they
were changed in the repository. The svn export command always places
these “last-commit timestamps” on trees that it produces.
By setting this config variable to yes, the svn checkout, svn update,
svn switch, and svn revert commands will also
set last-commit timestamps on files that they touch.

Re: How to Maintain "timestamp" in Repository & Working copy ?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:31, Phil Pinkerton <pc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 10:48 AM, Tony Sweeney wrote:

In %APPDATA%\Subversion\config for the user the script is running as, set:

use-commit-times = yes

If you set it here, Tortoise should also pick it up for that same user.

>From the command line you can also use the following option:

--config-option config:miscellany:use-commit-times=yes

This is documented in the output of svn help co.

RE: How to Maintain "timestamp" in Repository & Working copy ?

Posted by Tony Sweeney <ts...@omnifone.com>.

Posted by Phil Pinkerton <pc...@gmail.com>.