Posted to users@maven.apache.org by maarten roosendaal <mr...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/20 08:58:19 UTC

usefullness of the maven-eclipse-plugin

Hi,

I was wondering what the use is of the eclipse plugin and mostly when it is usefull. I know it generates files for Eclipse but why /when would you use it?  Most projects in our organization work with tools such as RSA or Eclipse with several project wizards. When they start developing they will use the IDE to setup a project, especially with RSA that provides specific wizards which generate all needed configuration.

I'm not saying the plugin is useless, on the contrary, when you start with archetypes to create the application it's very usefull. But i've seen a project that did not check in the .project and .classpath because they wanted all developers to create the eclipse files using the eclipse plugin. The .classpath i can understand since is uses the location of the Maven repo which is  userspecific, but why the .project? Are there cases where this plugin is only partially usefull and if so, should the plugin be able to just generate a .project file?

Any idea, suggestions.

Thanks,
Maarten

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

Re: usefullness of the maven-eclipse-plugin

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org

This is the right way to do it... it builds a classpath container from the
dependencies in the pom, it resolves sources and javadocs for you.
It means you can check in the .project and .classpath files and it "just
works" for everyone.

It works best with webdav and http repositories. Because the embedder version
used is old it does not resolve usernames and passwords in the settings.xml,
this results in odd hangs when resolving artifacts. This is bad with
sftp/ssh/scp and worse with windows unless you set up some magic batch
scripts to figure out what the plugin intends.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
m2eclipse, AFAIK, doesn't support WTP and it's very annoying if your
are developing  JEE applications. maven-eclipse-plugin does.

Arnaud

On 20/08/07, Jan Torben Heuer <jt...@mail2003.dnsalias.org> wrote:
> maarten roosendaal wrote:
>
> > I was wondering what the use is of the eclipse plugin and mostly when it
> > is usefull. I know it generates files for Eclipse but why /when would you
>
> it detects if modules are available as eclipse project and sets references
> instead of dependencies.
>
> WTP detection is quite useful.
>
> Can m2eclipse handle that, too?
>
> Jan

Arnaud HERITIER
OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com
www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
ASF - aheritier AT apache DOT org
www.apache.org | maven.apache.org

Re: usefullness of the maven-eclipse-plugin

Posted by Jan Torben Heuer <jt...@mail2003.dnsalias.org>.