Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1996/11/14 08:12:30 UTC

fleshing out defs of config directives for mod_info

Here's an attempt at definitions for directives in http_core.c.  These
definitions get displayed, of course, in mod_info output and httpd -h output.
I had trouble trying to figure out if it was best to have the phrase describe
the arguments required ("a filename") or what the directive actually did ("The
root directory of the document tree"), I leaned towards the latter.  Let me
know what you think.

	Brian

Re: fleshing out defs of config directives for mod_info

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com>.
On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Here's an attempt at definitions for directives in http_core.c.  These
> > definitions get displayed, of course, in mod_info output and httpd -h output.
> > I had trouble trying to figure out if it was best to have the phrase describe
> > the arguments required ("a filename") or what the directive actually did ("The
> > root directory of the document tree"), I leaned towards the latter.  Let me
> > know what you think.

This looks good. I hope that putting a functional description doesn't
remove the syntactical information. For example, HostnameLookups is
described as

   En/disable reverse-DNS lookups

This doesn't say what the possible arguments are (Apache regulars might
assume it is on/off, as in the other directives, but it is not obvious).
Perhaps it could be

   "on" to enable or "off" to disable reverse DNS lookups

Of course, HostnameLookups had no help at all in 1.1.1 so anything is an
improvement...

> 1) removed "CacheNegotiatedDocs" from http_core.c's command table.  It had no
> configuration associated with it.

Umm, looks like an early way to to prevent a server-death if
mod_negotiation wasn't compiled in, I guess. Not needed with <IfModule>.
Incidently this directive only affects HTTP/1.0 requests, and isn't needed
(or used)  on 1.1 requests.

Paul
UK Web Ltd

Re: fleshing out defs of config directives for mod_info

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Here's an attempt at definitions for directives in http_core.c.  These
> definitions get displayed, of course, in mod_info output and httpd -h output.
> I had trouble trying to figure out if it was best to have the phrase describe
> the arguments required ("a filename") or what the directive actually did ("The
> root directory of the document tree"), I leaned towards the latter.  Let me
> know what you think.

Oh yeah, I also

1) removed "CacheNegotiatedDocs" from http_core.c's command table.  It had no
configuration associated with it.

2) moved the container directives together.

	Brian