Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by paul <tj...@fairex.com> on 2004/11/01 03:43:26 UTC

Need explanation for this error

Dear all,

got this error on my app :
WARNING: Recoverable exception caught but MethodRetryHandler.retryMethod() returned false, rethrowing exception
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpRecoverableException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readResponse(HttpMethodBase.java:1965)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRequest(HttpMethodBase.java:2659)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:1093)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:675)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:529)

Currently using httpclient version 2.0, is this error caused by waiting too long for the reply? Can it be overcome by setting a higher value for TIMEOUT variable like below...

httpClient = new HttpClient(connMgr);
httpClient.setTimeout(TIMEOUT);

What the implication for setting a too high value to TIMEOUT? Will it caused too many waiting threads?

Thx in advance.

Regards,
Paul

CONFIDENTIAL NOTE: The information contained in this email is intended only
for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the mail. Thank you.

Re: Need explanation for this error

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Paul,

Yep, looks like the server is not sending the response quickly enough.
Setting the timeout to a higher value should fix the problem.

A higher timeout could certainly decrease performance.  I guess it
depends what is more important for your application, consistent method
execution time and higher throughput, or better method reliability and
potentially lower throughput.

Mike