Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com> on 2002/12/26 02:57:03 UTC

[Jelly] release manager?

Hey everybody,

I think Jelly might be far enough along now for us to
prepare some beta releases.  I propose that we focus
on stabilizing the API and work out the remaining
issues.  I also volunteer to be release manager for
1.0.  Any objections?

Assuming that everyone is comfortable with starting
the release process, I'll launch a couple of threads
this week concerning what issues I have with Jelly in
its current state.  Feel free to bring up issues of
your own.  Also, we should examine the Maven script
and determine which of Jelly's dependencies are also
unreleased.  We might want to encourage releases for
them as well.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog

Re: [Jelly] release manager?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Morgan Delagrange" <md...@yahoo.com>
> Hey everybody,
>
> I think Jelly might be far enough along now for us to
> prepare some beta releases.  I propose that we focus
> on stabilizing the API and work out the remaining
> issues.  I also volunteer to be release manager for
> 1.0.  Any objections?

+1

> Assuming that everyone is comfortable with starting
> the release process, I'll launch a couple of threads
> this week concerning what issues I have with Jelly in
> its current state.  Feel free to bring up issues of
> your own.  Also, we should examine the Maven script
> and determine which of Jelly's dependencies are also
> unreleased.  We might want to encourage releases for
> them as well.

Great stuff. Now I'm back from a festive vacation, I'd like to help out
moving Jelly to the commons proper and working towards a first beta release
ASAP.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [Jelly] release manager?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
Actually, Jelly has already been voted into the
Commons Proper:

I don't recall any recent proposal to make it a
top-level project, and this vote was called only a few
weeks ago.  Now it's a question of whether or not to
begin the process for release (finalizing API, fixing
bugs, determining dependencies, etc.)

I think it's a good idea, obviously.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog

Re: [Jelly] release manager?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
I'm happy to go to commons as a first step....
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

<mailto:commons-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

Re: [Jelly] release manager?

Posted by bob mcwhirter <bo...@werken.com>.
The last time this came up, we got a lot of +1's to move
it from the sandbox, but then arguments were made to actually
move jelly not just to the commons proper but to a bonafide
top-level project.

Though, that'd mean changing the packaging also from
org.apache.commons.jelly.* to org.apache.jelly.* which introduces
compatbility issues.

So, I think this needs further discussion before a vote.

I'd personally like to see Jelly become a top-level project,
so I'm -0 to moving it the commons proper.

	-bob

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

> Hey everybody,
>
> I think Jelly might be far enough along now for us to
> prepare some beta releases.  I propose that we focus
> on stabilizing the API and work out the remaining
> issues.  I also volunteer to be release manager for
> 1.0.  Any objections?
>
> Assuming that everyone is comfortable with starting
> the release process, I'll launch a couple of threads
> this week concerning what issues I have with Jelly in
> its current state.  Feel free to bring up issues of
> your own.  Also, we should examine the Maven script
> and determine which of Jelly's dependencies are also
> unreleased.  We might want to encourage releases for
> them as well.
>
> - Morgan
>
> =====
> Morgan Delagrange
> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
> http://axion.tigris.org
> http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog

Bob McWhirter        bob@werken.com
The Werken Company   http://werken.com/

Re: [Jelly] release manager?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
I'm all for the reorg.

I think Maven's plugins would be a good model for Jelly.....
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

"James Strachan" <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote on 31/12/2002 12:56:43
AM:

Re: [Jelly] release manager?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Morgan Delagrange" <md...@yahoo.com>
> --- James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > From: <di...@multitask.com.au>
> > > I'm a bit late on this, but shouldn't we move
> > Jelly to commons proper out
> > > of the sandbox first?
> > >
> > > Or in my unread mail has this already happened...?
> >

> > No we should do this real soon now.
> >
> > I've been offline over the festive period but I
> > thought we could discuss a
> > possible reorganisation of the code base into
> > independent libraries soon -
> > then do that reorg as part of the move into commons
> > proper. More later...
> >
> > James
>
> If by "independent libraries", you mean separate
> builds for each taglib a la Jakarta Taglbis, I'm
> inclining that way as well.  You probably haven't
> gotten to those emails yet.  :)

Agreed - yes that what I was thinking - also like dIon's previous mail,
along the same lines as the plugins in Maven.

Then we could have a small core Jelly jar (with a few basic libraries like
core, ant, logging, junit, util)* then make other libraries that require
additional dependencies as separate libraries. We could always make an
uber-jelly jar of all plugins per release if need be.

* The reason I picked those few core libraries to be in the core jelly jar
is to make developing and testing other jelly libraries easier. e.g.
logging, ant tasks & JellyUnit are available. All of these core libraries
are pretty small and have pretty minimal dependencies.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [Jelly] release manager?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [Jelly] release manager?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: <di...@multitask.com.au>
> I'm a bit late on this, but shouldn't we move Jelly to commons proper out
> of the sandbox first?
>
> Or in my unread mail has this already happened...?

No we should do this real soon now.

I've been offline over the festive period but I thought we could discuss a