Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Lydia Ickler <ic...@googlemail.com> on 2016/03/30 17:33:58 UTC

BulkIteration and BroadcastVariables

Hi all,
I have a question regarding the BulkIteration and BroadcastVariables:
The BulkIteration by default has one input variable and sends one variable into the next iteration, right?
What if I need to collect some intermediate results in each iteration? How would I do that?

For example in my code below I would like to store all newEigenValue. Unfortunately I didn’t find a way to do so.
Is it possible to set/change BroadcastVariables? Or is it only possible to „get“ them?

Thanks in advance!
Lydia

//read input file
DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> matrixA = readMatrix(env, input);

//initial:
//Approximate EigenVector by PowerIteration
DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> eigenVector = PowerIteration_getEigenVector2(matrixA);
//Approximate EigenValue by PowerIteration
DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> oldEigenValue = PowerIteration_getEigenValue(matrixA,eigenVector);
//Deflate original matrix
matrixA = PowerIteration_getNextMatrix(matrixA,eigenVector,oldEigenValue);

DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> newEigenVector = null;
DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> newEigenValue = null;
DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> newMatrixA = null;

//BulkIteration to find k dominant eigenvalues
IterativeDataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> iteration = matrixA.iterate(outer_iterations);

newEigenVector = PowerIteration_getEigenVector2(iteration);
newEigenValue = PowerIteration_getEigenValue(iteration,newEigenVector);
newMatrixA = PowerIteration_getNextMatrix(iteration,newEigenVector,newEigenValue);

//get gap
DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> gap = newEigenValue.map(new getGap()).withBroadcastSet(oldEigenValue, "oldEigenValue");
DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> filtered = gap.filter(new gapFilter());
oldEigenValue = newEigenValue;

DataSet<Tuple3<Integer, Integer, Double>> neue  = iteration.closeWith(newMatrixA,filtered);

Re: BulkIteration and BroadcastVariables

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,
it is not possible to change broadcast variables. Internally they are also
just a dataset that get's streamed through on an additional input of an
operator.

--
aljoscha