Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/05 19:07:48 UTC

Java for 6.0?

Could somebody remind me, which Java release will be recommended and which
releases will be supported for the upcoming Lucene/Solr 6.0 release? I
mean, will it remain the same or change from the 5.5 system requirements
page:
http://lucene.apache.org/core/5_5_0/SYSTEM_REQUIREMENTS.html

"Apache Lucene runs of Java 7 or greater, Java 8 is verified to be
compatible and may bring some performance improvements."

I wasn't sure where Java 9 is these days. Some statement on it seems
warranted, otherwise "7 or greater" implies that 9 is fine.

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: Java for 6.0?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/5/2016 11:07 AM, Jack Krupansky wrote:
> Could somebody remind me, which Java release will be recommended and
> which releases will be supported for the upcoming Lucene/Solr 6.0
> release? I mean, will it remain the same or change from the 5.5 system
> requirements page:
> http://lucene.apache.org/core/5_5_0/SYSTEM_REQUIREMENTS.html
>
> "Apache Lucene runs of Java 7 or greater, Java 8 is verified to be
> compatible and may bring some performance improvements."

Java 8 is required for 6.0.

I would say that our top recommendation should be the latest version of
Oracle Java 8 or OpenJDK 8.

Last I knew, Java 9 has some bugs that Lucene/Solr tickles.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Java for 6.0?

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for reminding me that I should have checked the updated sys req in
the repo for trunk in the first place.

Now I also recall some of the great debate from over a year ago and the
final decision to move trunk to Java 8:

It still feels to me that the sys req file, as released or in the repo
should make the most accurate possible statement about Java beyond the
recommended release. In this case it should be something like "As of month
day, year, Java 9 is known not to support Lucene 6 due to known JVM bugs."
I mean, explicitly saying "Apache Lucene runs on Java 8 or greater" seems
misleading since we know that Lucene 6 ONLY runs on Java 8.

Also, the linked JavaBugs wiki page doesn't even mention Java 9 and hasn't
been updated since January of last year. It would be nice to have that be a
file in the repo, although I recognize that it might warrant post-release
updates as Java releases evolve.

Also note that Solr has a separate sys req page that roughly copies the
Lucene page, so any changes in the Lucene page would need to be propagated
to the Solr page:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/site/SYSTEM_REQUIREMENTS.mdtext

(I think that's all that *I* can say at this point.)

-- Jack Krupansky

RE: Java for 6.0?

RE: Java for 6.0?