Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Al_Sweetman <al...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/18 11:36:25 UTC

Passing variables (note: not username/password!)

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered already, but I've had a good search and
can only find things similar, but different to my particular conundrum.

The issue I'm having is with regard to passing parameters between thread
groups; however the parameters are created as a result of the HTTP requests.

The workflow/scenario can be imagined as follows:

Thread groups:
A - to create a customer and return its identifier
B - to add a 'function' for that customer, using the identifier.

A and B need to be run independantly of each other to allow performance
testing of specific areas, but also in a synchronous manner.

Thread Group A -> Post HTTP Requests and 'create a client'.  This is
identified with a unique ID/client reference number returned by the serve ->
Pass this client reference to Thread Group B ->
Thread Group B -> Adds, for instance, client details / preferences for
instance for the cilent created by Thread Group A, with the client ref as a
parameter that's passed through the URL.

The 'Thread Group B' client preferences/details are read from a randomly
accessed file to symbolise a set of requests from the internet website, so
have various values.

My ideas for solving this are as follows (thread group A is referred to as
(A), and B as (B) ):

1). Use 'Assertations' from (A) to regex the response, and store the client
reference in a variable that is then read by (B).  However, is this possible
and even if it is, there are potentially 000's of customer requests that
could happen!

2). Somehow write the results of (A) into a file, which is then read by (B),
and queried/extrapolated (via post-/pre- processors) and used as a variable
for the (B) requests.

Is this a good approach to follow?  Can anyone provide any pointers as to
how to go about it?  I've tried in vain for a couple of days and not really
got anywhere!

There is the potential for a number of variables to get passed/used like
this - how does JMeter cope?

Thanks for the replies!

Al.