Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2009/01/23 16:13:55 UTC

Archetype create v. generate

Howdy,

What's the "approved" way to create archetypes when there's an archetype
metadata file?

So far it seems like I can either do archetype:create, which (so far)
isn't shuffling the files around from my archetype metadata file, or
archetype:generate, which does, but has that interactive bit I'd like to
avoid.

I think I'm using Version: 2.0-alpha-4, which is actually different from
the one I *thought* I was using, so I'll re-visit my process and see
what's currently happening, but I'd still appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Archetype create v. generate

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Raphaël Piéroni wrote:
> Yup this is normal.
>
> archetype:create is the old way a copy/paste from the old
> archetype-1.0-alpha plugin
> that is kept only for backaward compatibility.
> archetype:generate is the prefered way to do things.

Great--thanks for the info.

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
Yup this is normal.

archetype:create is the old way a copy/paste from the old
archetype-1.0-alpha plugin
that is kept only for backaward compatibility.
archetype:generate is the prefered way to do things.

Regards.

Raphaël

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Hubert Iwaniuk wrote:
> Hi Dave,create is deprecate, generate is a way to go.
> If you want it not interactive, read:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/examples/generate-batch.html
>
> HTH,

It does--thanks much!

Posted by Hubert Iwaniuk <ne...@kungfoo.pl>.
Hi Dave,create is deprecate, generate is a way to go.
If you want it not interactive, read:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/examples/generate-batch.html

HTH,
   Hubert.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just a ping to see if anybody had any input--I haven't had a chance to
> investigate further yet but need to commit some changes to some archetypes
> and update some documentation soon.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> Dave Newton wrote:
>
>> What's the "approved" way to create archetypes when there's an archetype
>> metadata file?
>>
>> So far it seems like I can either do archetype:create, which (so far)
>> isn't shuffling the files around from my archetype metadata file, or
>> archetype:generate, which does, but has that interactive bit I'd like to
>> avoid.
>>
>> I think I'm using Version: 2.0-alpha-4, which is actually different from
>> the one I *thought* I was using, so I'll re-visit my process and see what's
>> currently happening, but I'd still appreciate any input.

Hubert Iwaniuk

Re: Archetype create v. generate

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.