Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sarat Devineni <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/05 16:37:11 UTC

[users@httpd] To everyone regarding Red Hat 8.0

Hi,

Is any body having problems with Apache on Red Hat 8.0
? I have an Management application which manages
service levels accross an enterprise and it uses
Apache web server.When you install this application on
Redhat 8.0, it also installs Apache web server version
1.3.12 along with it and uses a different port other
than port 80.Once the install is finished, at the end
of the install, usually it starts the web server and
then the concerned services of the application.But, it
wasn't able to start the web server(no error messages
issued out) and hence the services of the
application(as they won't start until the web server
is started).Funny thing is if I start the web server
manually(./apachectl start), it says "httpd start:
OK",but if I check the processes, I don't find any of
them running and also no pid file in apache log
directory.

Any suggestions!!!

Thanks,

Sarat

Re: [users@httpd] To everyone regarding Red Hat 8.0

Posted by Renato Salles <ma...@brturbo.com>.
Thats correct, the Apache version packaged in RH 8.0 is 2.x. The app
that install its own apache would be better installed in another
machine, to avoid conflicts between them. Maybe a desktop RH 8.0 system
in a separate machine with no Apache rpm at all. The fact of this second
Apache is listening to another port doesn't have to say that this
application is not driving you crazy with two daemons running, two
httpd.conf in separate directories, two directories for logs, etc, and
maybe it could be a better approach to just add a "Listen new-port"
directive to this separate application and "include new-httpd.conf" to
manage their own resources/needs.
PS: When you do "apachectl start" whats expected to start: 2.x or 1.3.x?
How can you grant it will "discover" that this is addressed to one
daemon and not to another? (or maybe I misunderstood you...).

Sds,

RSalles

Posted by Sarat Devineni <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Renato,