Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Steubert Ebenezer <st...@altencalsoftlabs.com> on 2018/06/11 07:27:23 UTC

Salt and hash karaf CLI user passwords

Hi,

We need to salt and hash the karaf CLI user passwords.

We installed jasypt (feature:install jasypt) on opendaylight controller and
modified [karf.dir]/etc/org.apache.karaf.jaas.cfg as below.

encryption.name = jasypt

encryption.saltSizeBytes = 16

Now we created two new karaf CLI users with the same password.

opendaylight-user@root>jaas:user-add steubert karaf

opendaylight-user@root>jaas:user-add kathir karaf

opendaylight-user@root>jaas:update

Now if we check [karf.dir]/etc/users.properties file we see the encrypted
passwords are different

steubert =
{CRYPT}PH/RiJ/ZH2ss0TyKt/zY0qlrnYSHfCUsg4K3SODMfeQGDUD0fa944UKpJtQqxHyxf/8O6
6+Pyspk6SckxJswEza+sW+cIZ7U{CRYPT}

kathir =
{CRYPT}jqR3DDw6+RRuAbImxj46w4uunR3gLTENWi1JGzhcVr+ka1S9Tq1qFafGR/FyIc9FQGhGF
7NyyGkqPf/gJKff45zbqvAEYaJZ{CRYPT}

We have below questions on this.

*	How can we ensure if salting is happening here
*	Where are the salts stored
*	How does the login module authenticate the users if the salts are
not stored in any of the files

Thanks,

Steubert.

M: +91 9620610073

Re: Salt and hash karaf CLI user passwords

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi,

Which version of Karaf are you using ?

François Papon