Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Subhajit Das <Su...@live.com> on 2021/04/13 09:29:07 UTC

Tika Docker licence

Hi,

The Tika Docker image (full) uses ‘ttf-mscorefonts-installer’. The licence used by it is Microsoft licence and dosen’t seems to allow commercial use.

Can any please confirm if it is ok to use? Or should a customized version to be used for production?

Thanks and Regards,
Subhajit Das

Re: Tika Docker licence

Posted by Subhajit Das <su...@live.com>.
Hi Lewis,

Any comment?
Thanks and Regards,
Subhajit Das

Re: Tika Docker licence

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021, Lewis John McGibbney wrote:
> Please point me to the code for the ‘ttf-mscorefonts-installer’.

The bit of the Tika docker file that pulls them in is:
https://github.com/apache/tika-docker/blob/master/full/Dockerfile#L21

I think the EULA (which we auto-accept during installation) is
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/eula.htm

They're certainly not Open Source or Free. Assuming that's the right
license though, there's no restrictions on use, nothing anti-commercial or
anything like that

Nick

Re: Tika Docker licence

Posted by Subhajit Das <su...@live.com>.
Hi Lewis,

Not sure about source code availability.

This is package (and cabextract) might be closed sourced. Not sure though.

Thanks and Regards,
Subhajit Das

Re: Tika Docker licence

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Subhajit,

Re: Tika Docker licence

Posted by Subhajit Das <su...@live.com>.
Hi Nick,

Yes, I understand the complexity.
But, I didn't see any warning/disclaimer in either DockerHub or Github, for the full version.
As the built binary (docker image) is available under Apache name, that's why I thought, it would be good to have clarity for end user.

Attatching the screenshot of the licence. The licence is strictly non-commercial.
Maybe we can have a Disclaimer about these packages.
Also, there might be another edition without the Microsoft packages. Possibly, with alternate packages as well.
For my project's use, I had to port the docker image for centos. At that time I saw no disclaimer. Thus, I checked in details.
Thanks and Regards,
Subhajit Das

Re: Tika Docker licence

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.