Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu> on 2020/12/10 15:08:29 UTC

versions = true in SolrCloud (SOLR-8733)

Hey folks,

Been taking a look at SOLR-8733. Basically the versions=true param
doesn't work in SolrCloud unless you manage to direct each update to the
leader. The docs don't mention that this is broken in SolrCloud, and
according to Jira it seems like @yonik never intended this to be a
public feature in the first place.

It still seems like a useful feature, and it would make our life easier.

From poking around in the code for the last hour or so, I think this
could be made to work by taking a similar approach to how the
Replication Factor is tracked across nodes (using
RollupRequestReplicationTracker and LeaderRequestReplicationTracker).

I think I'm going to spend some time implementing this and I'll see if I
can submit a patch. Given the age of the jira issue (2016) I figured I'd
check in first. Is there any reason why this would be a terrible idea or
why this might end up not getting merged?

Thanks,

 - Bram

Re: versions = true in SolrCloud (SOLR-8733)

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me.
I assume you want versions=true so that you can do conditional updates?

BTW I've been looking at using a normal client-provided field and then
using DocBasedVersionConstraintsProcessorFactory which is pretty awesome.
It was added 7 years ago -- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5374
From an implementation standpoint, I like that this is it's nice tidy own
plugin, whereas _version_ inside Solr is messy IMO.  I'm not sure yet if
there are uses of _version_ that are not possible with the URP, but I'm
guessing partial updates may be an issue.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley