Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2013/06/11 22:02:41 UTC

Re: Bringing Hadoop to Fedora

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings Hadoop Development Community,
>
> As some of you are aware, we've been looking to bring the upstream 2.X series into the Fedora channels.

That's pretty awesome! Now, here's a couple question I've got:
   1. is your focus exclusively on Hadoop or would you want to bring
   Hadoop ecosystem projects into Fedora as well?

   2. since Hadoop is fundamentally a distributed application what
   are you plans wrt. deployment mechanism? Do you guys envision
   anything along the lines of juju?

   3. can you elaborate a little bit on how do you see this effort leveraging
   Apache Bigtop?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Bringing Hadoop to Fedora

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.
Hi Marcos -

Currently we have a list of outstanding items that can be found here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Hadoop

and are tentatively targeting the Fedora 20 time-frame.

Feel free to checkout https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Big_data_SIG for contact details, and we welcome any folks who interested.

Cheers
Tim

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda
Product Manager at PDVSA

Re: Bringing Hadoop to Fedora

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Can we please keep these discussions on the *-dev@ lists? Thanks.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: Bringing Hadoop to Fedora

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: Bringing Hadoop to Fedora

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda
Product Manager at PDVSA

Re: Bringing Hadoop to Fedora

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
It is definitely nice to see such a major group of open-source supporters
joining Bigtop effort! I am sure our project and community can greatly benefit
from your knowledge in RPMs and other RH/Fedora specific issues.

As you might know, Bigtop is distro agnostic stack framework, and we devide
out attention equally between Ubuntu, SUSE, and Fedora/CentOS. My guess is
that you would be most interested in the latter part of the distro set.

Hence, for your convenience here's the list of outstanding RPM specific issues
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20BIGTOP%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20component%20%3D%20RPM%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

that you might consider worthy helping with! I am sure we all are looking
forward for the contributions and new patches!

Welcome aboard, guys!
  Cos

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.
Hi Roman -