Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2007/07/15 16:49:20 UTC

require ex ante IP disclosure was: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies

On 7/15/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2007, at 2:17 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > Unless we have another license grant for the specification (and in
> > some particular cases we have agreements that supersede the JSR
> > specification licenses), the only way for us to legally implement the
> > spec - since we are a signatory to the JSPA - is to adhere to those
> > terms: a) fully implement, b) do not modify, etc; and c) pass the TCK.
>
> This is why what Sun is doing w/ the JCK license is so nasty, and why
> the JCP needs to be fixed.
>
> The TCK license breaks any chance of "ex ante" IP policy at the JCP
> because there's no disclosure requirement.  The implementor works in
> good faith under the terms of the spec license, only to discover that
> later, the spec lead can control how they distribute their software.
>
> The irony is that Sun is a very vocal and active proponent of ex ante
> IP disclosure
>
>    http://mailman.ctyme.com/pipermail/openstds/2007-April/000109.html
>    http://www.amc.gov/comments/sunmicrosystems.pdf
>    etc..

So why don't we do this: publish on http://www.apache.org/jcp/ that we
intend to vote NO on every JSR Review Ballot, Community Draft Ballot,
and Final Approval Ballot that does not provide a full and complete
disclosure of any and all relevant TCK terms, or on any such Ballot on
which we determine that the disclosed TCK terms would prevent the an
independent implementation under the Apache License, version 2.0.

Furthermore, we should seek out other EC members in the hopes that
they will make similar pledges.  If we gather enough support to make a
difference in, say, the next 30 days we will continue on as a JCP
member, otherwise we will simply and quietly exit that organization as
we will have determined that it is incapable of self-governance.  And
if we do succeed and stay on, we should view this policy as the first
step towards a much needed, and much broader, reform.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  One does not need to be a member of the JCP in order to create
an independent implementation of specifications that permit such
activities, nor does one need to be a member of the JCP in order to
enter into an NDA, so both of these are orthogonal concerns.

Re: require ex ante IP disclosure was: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Wade Chandler wrote:
>
> > --- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> specification (and in
> >> supersede the JSR
> >> legally
> >> is to adhere to those
> >> etc; and c) pass

> license
> >> is so nasty, and why

> IP
> >> policy at the JCP
> >> implementor works in
> >> only to discover that
> >> distribute their software.

> active
> >> proponent of ex ante

http://mailman.ctyme.com/pipermail/openstds/2007-April/000109.html

> >> http://www.amc.gov/comments/sunmicrosystems.pdf

> >> http://www.apache.org/jcp/ that we
> >> Community Draft Ballot,
> >> full and complete
> >> on any such Ballot on
> >> would prevent the an
> >> License, version 2.0.
> >>
> >> I have no problem with this, other than two minor
> >> changes.
> >>
> >> First, because putting together business terms
> isn't
> >> what engineeers
> >> who do JSRs do, I'd want to give the ecosystem
> >> warning that we're
> >> going to do this.  IOW "Don't show up after Oct 1
> >> w/o TCK terms" (or
> >> whatever date).
> >>
> >> Second, not only should we see a TCK license, but
> >> the spec lead
> >> should also publicly commit to have those terms
> >> always available to
> >> any licensor, short of being required by law or
> such
> >> to change them.
> >>

> > Then Spec Leads would actually be expected to
> follow
> > the JCP procedures :-D I don't see how one can
> have
> > license terms and not have the license as the
> license
> > i the terms.
> >

> But they are not required to guarantee those terms
> are publicly
> available.

Right, maybe that is something which can be worked on
in JSR 306. Then instead of the EG and the SL making a
determination for the community the community could
let the EG and SL know how they feel about the terms.
Either way though, I think they should show the EG the
terms, and I think the terms are the license, so the
process rules I mentioned mean part of the JSR review
should be the terms and the license for the RI and the
TCK and not just some sentence telling the EG the
rules will be good or something they previously agreed
to. That will hopefully get more EG members voting no
on JSRs until the terms are good and equal for all
according to the JSPA.

Wade

Re: require ex ante IP disclosure was: [VOTE] New ASF/JCP Policies

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jul 15, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Wade Chandler wrote:

> --- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 15, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

>> specification (and in
>> supersede the JSR
>> legally
>> is to adhere to those
>> etc; and c) pass

>> is so nasty, and why

>> policy at the JCP
>> implementor works in
>> only to discover that
>> distribute their software.

>> proponent of ex ante
>>>>

> http://mailman.ctyme.com/pipermail/openstds/2007-April/000109.html
>>>>
>> http://www.amc.gov/comments/sunmicrosystems.pdf
>>>
>>> So why don't we do this: publish on
>> http://www.apache.org/jcp/ that we
>>> intend to vote NO on every JSR Review Ballot,
>> Community Draft Ballot,
>>> and Final Approval Ballot that does not provide a
>> full and complete
>>> disclosure of any and all relevant TCK terms, or
>> on any such Ballot on
>>> which we determine that the disclosed TCK terms
>> would prevent the an
>>> independent implementation under the Apache
>> License, version 2.0.
>>
>> I have no problem with this, other than two minor
>> changes.
>>
>> First, because putting together business terms isn't
>> what engineeers
>> who do JSRs do, I'd want to give the ecosystem
>> warning that we're
>> going to do this.  IOW "Don't show up after Oct 1
>> w/o TCK terms" (or
>> whatever date).
>>
>> Second, not only should we see a TCK license, but
>> the spec lead
>> should also publicly commit to have those terms
>> always available to
>> any licensor, short of being required by law or such
>> to change them.
>>

> Then Spec Leads would actually be expected to follow
> the JCP procedures :-D I don't see how one can have
> license terms and not have the license as the license
> i the terms.

But they are not required to guarantee those terms are publicly
available.

geir

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jul 15, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On 7/15/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 15, 2007, at 2:17 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>
>> > Unless we have another license grant for the specification (and in
>> > some particular cases we have agreements that supersede the JSR
>> > specification licenses), the only way for us to legally
>> implement the
>> > spec - since we are a signatory to the JSPA - is to adhere to those
>> > terms: a) fully implement, b) do not modify, etc; and c) pass
>> the TCK.
>>
>> This is why what Sun is doing w/ the JCK license is so nasty, and why
>> the JCP needs to be fixed.
>>
>> The TCK license breaks any chance of "ex ante" IP policy at the JCP
>> because there's no disclosure requirement.  The implementor works in
>> good faith under the terms of the spec license, only to discover that
>> later, the spec lead can control how they distribute their software.
>>
>> The irony is that Sun is a very vocal and active proponent of ex ante
>> IP disclosure
>>
>>    http://mailman.ctyme.com/pipermail/openstds/2007-April/000109.html
>>    http://www.amc.gov/comments/sunmicrosystems.pdf
>>    etc..
>
> So why don't we do this: publish on http://www.apache.org/jcp/ that we
> intend to vote NO on every JSR Review Ballot, Community Draft Ballot,
> and Final Approval Ballot that does not provide a full and complete
> disclosure of any and all relevant TCK terms, or on any such Ballot on
> which we determine that the disclosed TCK terms would prevent the an
> independent implementation under the Apache License, version 2.0.

I have no problem with this, other than two minor changes.

First, because putting together business terms isn't what engineeers
who do JSRs do, I'd want to give the ecosystem warning that we're
going to do this.  IOW "Don't show up after Oct 1 w/o TCK terms" (or
whatever date).

Second, not only should we see a TCK license, but the spec lead
should also publicly commit to have those terms always available to
any licensor, short of being required by law or such to change them.

> Furthermore, we should seek out other EC members in the hopes that
> they will make similar pledges.  If we gather enough support to make a
> difference in, say, the next 30 days we will continue on as a JCP
> member, otherwise we will simply and quietly exit that organization as
> we will have determined that it is incapable of self-governance.  And
> if we do succeed and stay on, we should view this policy as the first
> step towards a much needed, and much broader, reform.
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> P.S.  One does not need to be a member of the JCP in order to create
> an independent implementation of specifications that permit such
> activities, nor does one need to be a member of the JCP in order to
> enter into an NDA, so both of these are orthogonal concerns.

Yes they are and I haven't the slightest idea

a) why you bring them up and

b) why you used a "P.S." since you could have just gone back up in
your mail editor and inserted the text before your signature :)
Unless you are typing on a typewriter and scanning, in which case
this comment is moot.

geir