Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Norbert Klose <nk...@mail.com> on 2003/10/30 11:21:28 UTC

commons-logging & classloading (continued)

Hello,

i currently use Tomcat 4.1.27 bundled with commons-logging 1.0.3. My own webapp i'm working on also uses commons-logging, so i include a copy of the jar file into the WEB-INF/lib directory to be protable to other servlet containers that does not include the commons-logging package. I found some discussions in the mail archive that is about commons-logging and its class loading strategy. But as i could not found an anwser to my problem, i post my problem here again, hoping to get a hint for a solution (or maybe to settle on a new consens).

The problem is, that when tomcat wants to anser a HTTPS request it instantiates a Http11ConnectionHandler which processes the connection.
The Http11ConnectionHandler instance itself instantiates a JSSE14Support class which itself instantiates a org.apache.commons.logging.Log implementation class. Because the thread that runs the Http11ConnectionHandler has the WebappClassloader of my web application as its
context class loader (which ist used by commons-logging to load the Log implementation (logClass)), BUT the org.apache.commons.logging.Log interface itself was loaded from the Common StandardClassLoader, the predicate in LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor()

	(!Log.class.isAssignableFrom(logClass))

is false, so that LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor() throws a LogConfigurationException. Because both classes are loaded from different classloaders.

IMHO what commons-logging MUST ensure to work correctly is, that the logClass is loaded from the same classloader than the Log.class is and this is not guaranteed by the current implementation! For example

    protected static ClassLoader getContextClassLoader()
        throws LogConfigurationException
    {
        return Log.class.getClassLoader();
    }

would do. BUT to keep the current implementation what about changing LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(), so that the correct predicate is evaluated?

    protected Constructor getLogConstructor()
        throws LogConfigurationException {

            logClass = loadClass(logClassName);
            ___logClass___ = loadClass("org.apache.commons.logging.Log")		// something like this...
            if (logClass == null) {
                throw new LogConfigurationException
                    ("No suitable Log implementation for " + logClassName);
            }
            if (!___logClass___.class.isAssignableFrom(logClass)) {
            }

    }

The problem with the current implementation is, that commons-logging can not rely on the fact that the threads current context class loader is the classloader that the class (like the JSSE14Support above) wants to get its logging implementation from!!!

Is there a chance to get a consens on that, or at least to think about changing the current implemetation making it more reliable ?

Kindly regards,
Norbert.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers