Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by hub <fe...@abacus.ch> on 2009/10/19 21:39:25 UTC

Portlet locked with processEvent() ?

Hi,

Please excuse me for writing in the Dev forum, but I don't notice any
activity in the user forum.
I think I am locking a portlet, maybe I do stuff which I should not. Could
anyone please help me?

I have a portlet B , loaded on startup but not visible (not displayed).
Portlet A sends an event to portlet B.
Portlet B receives it in processEvent() , does some stuff(creates a workflow
with opensymphony/osworkflow)  and would like to be rendered then ---but
nothing happens. I do not notice that any portlet is rendered at all.
Instead I see (visuall feedback from browser) that a request is pending,
which times out after a while.
Creating a new request by pressing "home" interrupts the pending request and
all works fine again. But I think the request is still pending somewhere.

If I don't do anything in processEvent(), the portlet get's rendered
(doView()).
Sometimes (rarely) it works, although I do my stuff in processEvent()
(create the workflow).
Sometimes my breakpoints in doView() are triggered, if I stop my application
(Ctrl C), which brought me to the idea that I am locking something.

While stopping the application I then see following output on the console
 [TomcatDeployer] undeploy, ctxPath=/pluto, warUrl=.../deploy/pluto.war/
 [StandardWrapper] Waiting for 1 instance(s) to be deallocated
 [StandardWrapper] Waiting for 1 instance(s) to be deallocated
 [StandardWrapper] Waiting for 1 instance(s) to be deallocated
 [[/pluto]] Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext

The more requests I generated, the more "Waiting ..." I see.

I am running on JBoss 4.2.2 GA

Are there some restrictions on what is allowed in processEvent()?
Could somebody please help me to isolate the problem?

Thank you for helping

Regards
Hubert

Re: Portlet locked with processEvent() ?

Posted by hub <fe...@abacus.ch>.
...well, it looks like it was my fault.
The thread that locked the whole thing was "com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection".
And it locked, because I left a DirContext open in my application. Closing
this solved the problem.

hub