Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Olexiy Chudnovskyy <ol...@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> on 2012/07/05 14:07:21 UTC

RE: Extending widgets towards Inter-Widget-Communication

Hi Scott & Ross,

here is the source code of our prototype and a tutorial to get it running:

http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/demo/iwc-extension/apache-wookie-iwc-0.
10.0-incubating-standalone.zip
http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/demo/iwc-extension/tutorial.pdf

I like Scott's idea on "IWC Enchancer" add-on, which is completely decoupled
from a concrete widget container instance. This is definitely a cleaner
solution.
Another scenario is, however, extension of an already deployed widget. Or do
you think this situation is rather unusual?

Best Regards,
Olexiy

E-Mail: olexiy.chudnovskyy@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Phone:  +49 371 531 39146
Chemnitz University of Technology
Department of Computer Science
Distributed and Self-organizing Systems Group
Straße der Nationen 62
D-09107 Chemnitz
Germany

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 5 July 2012 13:44, Olexiy Chudnovskyy
<ol...@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> thanks for the extensive answer! Together with my colleagues we will start
> working on a separate application using Wookie API and relying on OpenAjax
> Pub/Sub implementation to make it a Wookie sub-project in the first line.

That's great, but do understand I'm only one voice (and a reasonably
inactive one too) so it's not a given that others will agree it makes
sense to bring it here as a sub-project. That being said if no-one
objects you can assume "lazy consensus" and we can proceed. Even if
people decide this is not a suitable home for some reason I think your
work in separating it out will be time well spent and we'll find a
good home and some of us will surely use your code.

Ross

RE: Extending widgets towards Inter-Widget-Communication

Posted by Olexiy Chudnovskyy <ol...@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>.
Hi Ross,

thanks for the extensive answer! Together with my colleagues we will start
working on a separate application using Wookie API and relying on OpenAjax
Pub/Sub implementation to make it a Wookie sub-project in the first line.

We also thought on possible extensions towards other widget specs. The
difficulty we see here is the lack of a standardized IWC framework. OpenAjax
seems to be a common solution, but IWC-Enchancer cannot know in which other
dashboards with which IWC-facilities the widgets will be running in.
However, a possible solution could be to let user choose which Pub/Sub
framework should be used before the enhanced widget gets exported.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 9 Jul 2012, at 09:46, Olexiy Chudnovskyy wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>

>> There are also a couple of W3C widgets on the ROLE widgetstore:
>>
>> http://www.role-widgetstore.eu/
>
> Thanks, there seems to be many widgets available! As far as I see, many of
> them are OpenSocial. However, we could take them in IWC-Enchancer into
> account. I wonder - is there any IWC spec in OpenSocial standard? Can W3C
> and OpenSocial widgets communicate within one single Rave dashboard

Both OpenSocial and W3C Widgets in Rave can use OpenAjax Hub for IWC - and yes they can communicate with each other.

Posted by Olexiy Chudnovskyy <ol...@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 9 Jul 2012, at 09:08, Olexiy Chudnovskyy wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> yes, we've already tried Opera widgets - unfortunately many of them are
> broken.

Well, a lot of them use Opera's own earlier spec rather than W3C - which mostly just looks like a broken wgt.

There are also a couple of W3C widgets on the ROLE widgetstore:

http://www.role-widgetstore.eu/

And of course you can do a search for .wgt files, e.g. on Filecrop - that mostly turns up a lot of clock and weather widgets for different phones :)

Part of the issue is that most of the other implementations tend to rebrand W3C widgets - e.g. as "samsung apps", "blackberry widgets", "vodafone widgets" etc., and then only allow download via their services or devices.

> We haven't found any W3C repository - the only idea we came up with
> - converting iGoogle, Netvibes, Opera to W3C to create some initial
> database. A student of us is working on a conversion tool, tackling
> peculiarities of different formats. Currently he is evaluating which
> percentage of Netvibes / iGoogle widgets the tool will manage to convert.
> First results were pretty promising.

Thats a great idea.

Posted by Olexiy Chudnovskyy <ol...@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>.
Hi Scott,

yes, we've already tried Opera widgets - unfortunately many of them are
broken. We haven't found any W3C repository - the only idea we came up with

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olexiy Chudnovskyy <ol...@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>.
Hi Ross,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
It's great to hear you want to work with is on this.

Apache projects work on a meritocratic basis. If someone contributes
to get commit rights.

Before someone gets commit rights they need to submit patches for
review. This is done through the issue tracker. Once the number of
patches or even a single significant patch is accepted by the project
contributors may be invited to become committers. This process is
called review then commit (RTC). Since this review process can be
time-consuming we tried to make people committers earlier rather than
later.

Once they are committers they can make changes directly in the version
control system. Such changes are sent to the commit mailing list where
other committers will review them. This process is called commit then
review (CTR). Committers need to submit an Individual Contributer a
License Agreement (ICLA).

With significant contributions that involve many developers we need to
have a software grant and make all developers committers upon initial
contribution. I doubt that this contribution will require this.
However, your mail implies that there are multiple developers involved
with this contribution.

I suspect the best way to proceed is to start out extracting your code
into the stand-alone project we've discussed. It would be best to do
that in stages contributing patches directly to Wookie as you go. This
will enable us to evaluate individual contributors patches and
recognise individual merit as appropriate. It will make things a
little slower to start with as you will need someone here to submit
your patches to version control. However, since nobody here is likely
to work on it in the short term this shouldn't pose much of a problem.
The advantage is that we would be able to give commit rights in
recognition of the work being done during the porting.

Alternatively, you could do this work in somewhere like Apache-extras
(an area within Google code). This would allow you to give write
access to your full developer team early and would enable the Eookie
team to review each contributors activity there. However, merit in an
Apache project cannot be earned through contributions to a non-Apache
project. This means that it would be slower for your team to get
commit access here.

What is less than ideal is for you to submit a large amount of
completed code with a request to make a number of, to us unknown,
people as committers.

Which is the best approach for you depends on your team. Trying to
work here through patches will slow your initial work but ultimately
get you commit access here more quickly, which will enable you to
create a tighter integration with Wookie without having to depend on
existing committers.

Ross

On 6 July 2012 09:30, Olexiy Chudnovskyy

Posted by Olexiy Chudnovskyy <ol...@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.