Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org> on 2021/02/17 04:05:00 UTC

Moving PRs against apache/james-project repository and server-dev signal to noise ratio

Hello there,

I want to thank Jean and Matthieu for their awesome work on the Apache
run CI.

We did discuss it with the @linagora team during our daily, and we would
like to handle eventually all of our contributions through
apache/james-project.

Now the last few days experience makes me fear a JIRA message overflow
on this list, eventually burrying all discussions.

I personally find Github and its notifications to be enough to manage
community activities there. As such I would like to propose:

 - To keep JIRA emails on server-dev: I do use this a lot to monitor new
tickets being open.
 - However, github comments should IMO stop triggering JIRA comments
(that then trigger an email) as it is just flooding us.
 - But we should have the very useful JIRA -> Github link, and
automatically if possible.

According to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features
we just need to turn
https://github.com/apache/james-project/blob/master/.asf.yaml into

  jira_options: link label

The worklog should even allow to have Github events on the ticket
without triggering emails. I would like to experiment with that option.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Benoit