Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Gabor Kaszab <ga...@apache.org> on 2022/11/17 10:30:19 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Iceberg 1.1.0 RC2

Hi Everyone,

I propose that we release the following RC as the official Apache
Iceberg 1.1.0 release.

The commit ID is b3eaf0c6cb9cf6357a925c7443baadd54515a971
* This corresponds to the tag: apache-iceberg-1.1.0-rc2
* https://github.com/apache/iceberg/commits/apache-iceberg-1.1.0-rc2
* https://github.com/apache/iceberg/tree/b3eaf0c6cb9cf6357a925c7443baadd54515a971

The release tarball, signature, and checksums are here:
* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/iceberg/apache-iceberg-1.1.0-rc2

You can find the KEYS file here:
* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/iceberg/KEYS

Convenience binary artifacts are staged on Nexus. The Maven repository URL is:
* https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheiceberg-1111/

Please download, verify, and test.

Please vote in the next 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this as Apache Iceberg 1.1.0
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release this because...

Again, thanks to *Fokko* for running the RC creation steps for me!

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Iceberg 1.1.0 RC2

Posted by Gabor Kaszab <ga...@apache.org>.
Thanks for spotting this break and giving a fix, Fokko!
Let me start another thread for the new RC.

Gabor

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Iceberg 1.1.0 RC2

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Iceberg 1.1.0 RC2

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@apache.org>.
Hey everyone,

Posted by leilei hu <hu...@gmail.com>.
+1(non-binding)

Posted by Ajantha Bhat <aj...@gmail.com>.
@Szehon:
This failure looks to be the same as #6060.
I did report two flaky tests 3 weeks ago. But we didn't investigate it I
guess.
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/6060
https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/5986

Thanks,
Ajantha

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@apache.org>.
-1 (non-binding)

For testing the release I plugged in the latest RC2 in Trino and found out
that we have regression: https://github.com/trinodb/trino/pull/15079/files

It throws this exception:

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: hash(value) is not supported on
the base Bucket class
    at org.apache.iceberg.transforms.Bucket.hash(Bucket.java:90)
    at org.apache.iceberg.transforms.Bucket.apply(Bucket.java:99)
    at org.apache.iceberg.transforms.Bucket.apply(Bucket.java:38)
    at
io.trino.plugin.iceberg.IcebergPageSink.applyTransform(IcebergPageSink.java:372)
    at
io.trino.plugin.iceberg.IcebergPageSink.getPartitionData(IcebergPageSink.java:364)
    at
io.trino.plugin.iceberg.IcebergPageSink.getWriterIndexes(IcebergPageSink.java:288)
    at
io.trino.plugin.iceberg.IcebergPageSink.writePage(IcebergPageSink.java:215)
    at
io.trino.plugin.iceberg.IcebergPageSink.doAppend(IcebergPageSink.java:210)
    at
io.trino.plugin.iceberg.IcebergPageSink.appendPage(IcebergPageSink.java:161)

We've removed the source type from the transform
<https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/5601>, so we can do lazy binding
which is very nice, but this wasn't deprecated in 1.0.0
<https://github.com/apache/iceberg/blob/1.0.x/api/src/main/java/org/apache/iceberg/transforms/Transform.java#L42>.
I'm not sure if we can make this backward compatible without diving into
the details, mostly because we've also built on top of it
<https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/5707>.

Best, Fokko

Posted by Eduard Tudenhoefner <ed...@tabular.io>.
+1 (non-binding)