Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by andy wix <st...@hotmail.com> on 2004/11/29 10:45:14 UTC

Runtime.exec security issue?

Hi,

I am trying to run a simple exec command to open notepad with code as
follows:

Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();
Process proc = runtime.exec("C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\notepad.exe");

This code works fine from a stand-alone program but not run under Tomcat.

I CAN successfully set the the system time and date using the same approach
though.

I get the same results when Tomcat is not run as a service.

I am running Xp with Tomcat 5.0.27.

I thought this might be a java permissions issue, but I don't get any
exceptions thrown - just nothing happens.

Thanks,
Andy