Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2005/06/06 18:11:01 UTC

Re: Default logging system

Geert Josten wrote:
>>In a second vote we will vote about the default logging system.
>

> As a remark I'd like to add that just recently we deployed Cocoon in both Oracle Application Server
> and Tomcat that were configured to use Log4J. But in neither case, it seemed possible to get the
> Cocoon log messages (both cocoon itself and the component logging etc) into those logs. Is it
> possible to just use the application server logging settings as default?

I guess you configured the Log4JLoggerManager in web.xml? What happened
then?

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: Default logging system

Posted by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl>.
> I guess you configured the Log4JLoggerManager in web.xml? What happened
> then?
>
> Carsten

To be honest: with the current settings nothing is being logged.. (nothing from Cocoon at least) :-P

I tried several things, but nothing with the result I was looking for.

Currently I have the following settings:

* force-property on org.apache.commons.logging.Log _disabled_
* logkit-config pointing to Web-inf/logkit.xconf
* servlet-logger set to 'access'
* cocoon-logger set to 'core'
* log-level set to 'WARN'
* logger-class set to 'org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.Log4JLoggerManager'
* log4j-config not set

Changing log4j-config gives logging only if I specify a physical file in the log4j.xconf. But the
problem is that in the Oracle Application Server the context is not file system but the war itself
and references to web-inf/logs/log4j.log are not possible there. Besides, we would like to just get
the messages in the log of the application server, no matter how it is configured.

So I would guess that logkit-config (which is necessary I believe) and log4j-config should not be
necessary at all and the logger-class should be recieved from the application server, perhaps as a
system-property?

Now I don't know what happens when no logging is explicitly set in the Application server, or what
if there is no application server (running Cocoon standalone for instance), but isn't there a
logging class distributed with java?

Cheers,
Geert