Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2014/06/10 22:52:18 UTC

Thunderbird Compatibility with JAMES 3.0?

Has anyone encountered problems using JAMES 3 IMAP with Mozilla
Thunderbird client?  It appears to work fine with small-medium mailbox
repositories.  But I have a client that has a large mail account with
over 500,000 emails spread across a series of folders, and we are seeing
some serious problems.  On Thunderbird, it sometimes takes 10 minutes to
open the INBOX folder, and then when it does open and you select an
email, it may take another 5-10 minutes to show the email.  This doesn't
happen all the time.  But it happens on several Thunderbird clients.
The inbox usually only has 100-200 emails in it, but there are quite a
few mail rules that run on the INBOX in Thunderbird.  I am configured to
access the same user account via my iPhone.  When Tbird is sitting there
with the circle spinning forever, I can still open the folder and view
the email on my iPhone with no problem.  So I don't think this is a
JAMES problem.  But I'm curious if there are others using JAMES that are
also using Thunderbird and, if so, are you seeing any similar behaviors?

Secondly, and more critical, moving a few emails between folders in
Tbird has never been any problem at all.  However, I have tried several
times moving a few hundred emails as a block from one folder to another
folder and also trying to delete a large block of emails (send to
trash).  With larger sets of email, it goes into an infinite loop and by
the time I notice what is happening, I have 30-40+ copies of every email
in the target and it just keeps growing.  I understand that 'move'
really means 'copy' then 'delete' when everything has been copied.  Copy
is looping/restarting and Delete never happens.  One time I  started it
up and unfortunately walked away.  Came back and had like 20,000 emails
in the target folder.  Fun to clean that out, and the only way I could
do that was under-the-hood database work.  Ugly.

Even though currently it appears Tbird is messed up here, I'm wondering
if JAMES is returning an error on some invalidly formatted email or
something that is causing Tbird to go crazy.  If that's the case,
perhaps I could add defensive code to JAMES to make Tbird not get so
irritated, etc.

I'm going to be pursuing this on the Thunderbird forum as well since it
is likely more Tbird issue than JAMES issue.  But at this point, it's
neither a Tbird nor a JAMES issue... It's MY issue with my client.  So
I'm just attacking all angles.  I'm just looking for information and
more data if others have seen this.

Anybody want to talk about Thunderbird and JAMES 3?

Thx

Jerry

Re: Thunderbird Compatibility with JAMES 3.0?

Posted by Kurt Harders <ha...@khtronik.de>.
Hi Jerry,

we are not having such large number of mail in one account but we
encountered similar problems using dovecot. James did up to now not
cause such problems. It seems to be a Tbird problem, not a James issue.

Regards, Kurt

Am 10.06.2014 22:52, schrieb Jerry Malcolm:
> Has anyone encountered problems using JAMES 3 IMAP with Mozilla
> Thunderbird client?  It appears to work fine with small-medium mailbox
> repositories.  But I have a client that has a large mail account with
> over 500,000 emails spread across a series of folders, and we are
> seeing some serious problems.  On Thunderbird, it sometimes takes 10
> minutes to open the INBOX folder, and then when it does open and you
> select an email, it may take another 5-10 minutes to show the email.
> This doesn't happen all the time.  But it happens on several
> Thunderbird clients.  The inbox usually only has 100-200 emails in it,
> but there are quite a few mail rules that run on the INBOX in
> Thunderbird.  I am configured to access the same user account via my
> iPhone.  When Tbird is sitting there with the circle spinning forever,
> I can still open the folder and view the email on my iPhone with no
> problem.  So I don't think this is a JAMES problem.  But I'm curious
> if there are others using JAMES that are also using Thunderbird and,
> if so, are you seeing any similar behaviors?
>
> Secondly, and more critical, moving a few emails between folders in
> Tbird has never been any problem at all.  However, I have tried
> several times moving a few hundred emails as a block from one folder
> to another folder and also trying to delete a large block of emails
> (send to trash).  With larger sets of email, it goes into an infinite
> loop and by the time I notice what is happening, I have 30-40+ copies
> of every email in the target and it just keeps growing.  I understand
> that 'move' really means 'copy' then 'delete' when everything has been
> copied.  Copy is looping/restarting and Delete never happens.  One
> time I  started it up and unfortunately walked away.  Came back and
> had like 20,000 emails in the target folder.  Fun to clean that out,
> and the only way I could do that was under-the-hood database work. Ugly.
>
> Even though currently it appears Tbird is messed up here, I'm
> wondering if JAMES is returning an error on some invalidly formatted
> email or something that is causing Tbird to go crazy. If that's the
> case, perhaps I could add defensive code to JAMES to make Tbird not
> get so irritated, etc.
>
> I'm going to be pursuing this on the Thunderbird forum as well since
> it is likely more Tbird issue than JAMES issue.  But at this point,
> it's neither a Tbird nor a JAMES issue... It's MY issue with my
> client.  So I'm just attacking all angles.  I'm just looking for
> information and more data if others have seen this.
>
> Anybody want to talk about Thunderbird and JAMES 3?
>
> Thx
>
> Jerry

KHTronik - Kurt Harders
Elektronik, Softwareentwicklung, Opensource-Beratung
Leimbacher Str. 36
42281 Wuppertal

T +49 202  2 50 11 64
F +49 202  2 50 11 65
M +49 171  8 36 82 33

Re: Thunderbird Compatibility with JAMES 3.0?

Posted by Josip Almasi <jo...@vrspace.org>.
On 06/10/2014 10:52 PM, Jerry Malcolm wrote:
> Has anyone encountered problems using JAMES 3 IMAP with Mozilla
> Thunderbird client?  It appears to work fine with small-medium mailbox
> repositories.  But I have a client that has a large mail account with
> over 500,000 emails spread across a series of folders, and we are seeing
> some serious problems.  On Thunderbird, it sometimes takes 10 minutes to
> open the INBOX folder, and then when it does open and you select an
> email, it may take another 5-10 minutes to show the email.  This doesn't
> happen all the time.  But it happens on several Thunderbird clients. The
> inbox usually only has 100-200 emails in it, but there are quite a few
> mail rules that run on the INBOX in Thunderbird.  I am configured to
> access the same user account via my iPhone.  When Tbird is sitting there
> with the circle spinning forever, I can still open the folder and view
> the email on my iPhone with no problem.  So I don't think this is a
> JAMES problem.  But I'm curious if there are others using JAMES that are
> also using Thunderbird and, if so, are you seeing any similar behaviors?

It's mozilla issue, tied to mbox store. You might want to activate
maildir store, it's supposed to be faster.
Also, check 'compact folders' thing, make sure it's in 'ask' mode, maybe
it correlates.

> Secondly, and more critical, moving a few emails between folders in
> Tbird has never been any problem at all.  However, I have tried several
> times moving a few hundred emails as a block from one folder to another
> folder and also trying to delete a large block of emails (send to
> trash).  With larger sets of email, it goes into an infinite loop and by
> the time I notice what is happening, I have 30-40+ copies of every email
> in the target and it just keeps growing.  I understand that 'move'
> really means 'copy' then 'delete' when everything has been copied.  Copy
> is looping/restarting and Delete never happens.  One time I  started it
> up and unfortunately walked away.  Came back and had like 20,000 emails
> in the target folder.  Fun to clean that out, and the only way I could
> do that was under-the-hood database work.  Ugly.

Yep that's bad, and I'm afraid it's not mozilla issue.
Anything in james logs?

> if JAMES is returning an error on some invalidly formatted email or
> something that is causing Tbird to go crazy.  If that's the case,
> perhaps I could add defensive code to JAMES to make Tbird not get so
> irritated, etc.
>
> I'm going to be pursuing this on the Thunderbird forum as well since it
> is likely more Tbird issue than JAMES issue.  But at this point, it's
> neither a Tbird nor a JAMES issue... It's MY issue with my client.  So
> I'm just attacking all angles.  I'm just looking for information and
> more data if others have seen this.

Then it's up to you to analyze logs and protocol.

> Anybody want to talk about Thunderbird and JAMES 3?

Yep, please keep us posted.

Regards...