Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by sbelt <sb...@velos.com> on 2001/03/03 02:17:56 UTC

OpenSource Apache-Style shopping Carts

I have been busying myself learning Turbine - and have recently begun to get
excited as I have created a simple scheduling service for my company. It
took me about a year to get to a point where I could produce anything so
this small accomplishment is very exciting to me. (Not meant to criticize
Turbine, really just a question of devoting enough time)

Today, my boss asked me if I knew of any Open Source Shopping Cart systems.
As our company stays away from GPL code, the choices became quickly limited.
Adding Java as a requirement seems to have evaporated all choices I can
find.

Then I recalled that the first paragraph of Turbine's site states its
usefulness for creating shopping cart sites! So I thought I would ask, has
anyone created a shopping cart framework using Turbine (with code under an
Apache-style license)? Sandi from clearink was kind enough to tell me about
jFreeTrade; unfortunaltely, the FreeTrade mailing list seems only to talk
about the PHP version. The few posts I found regarding the Turbine version
seem to indicate this is still in the suggestion stage. Are things further
along than they appear? Or does someone have an alternative? Perhaps I could
add my meager efforts to the jFreeTrade efforts as well.

Thankyou!

Steve B.

Re: OpenSource Apache-Style shopping Carts

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/2/01 5:17 PM, "sbelt" <sb...@velos.com> wrote:

> Then I recalled that the first paragraph of Turbine's site states its
> usefulness for creating shopping cart sites! So I thought I would ask, has
> anyone created a shopping cart framework using Turbine (with code under an
> Apache-style license)? Sandi from clearink was kind enough to tell me about
> jFreeTrade; unfortunaltely, the FreeTrade mailing list seems only to talk
> about the PHP version. The few posts I found regarding the Turbine version
> seem to indicate this is still in the suggestion stage. Are things further
> along than they appear? Or does someone have an alternative? Perhaps I could
> add my meager efforts to the jFreeTrade efforts as well.

JFreeTrade still exists, however it was more a straight port from FreeTrade
and was done with the old style way of doing things (ie: no pull and I
believe it is still WebMacro). John McNally was the one doing the work, but
I doubt he has any free time for it anymore and hasn't touched the code in a
long time.

If you are interested in picking this up again, I can give you access to the
source code (it is actually not on the working-dogs.com server anymore, but
is sitting on the new server here at my house).

thanks,

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous
<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/> && <http://java.apache.org/turbine/>