Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Barrett <jb...@finaplex.com> on 2006/08/03 21:48:04 UTC

SVN "control" dirs showing up to repo clients

We've got a 1.3.2 fsfs repository that we just put together.  It's
fronted by an apache 2.2 server with a SVNParentPath.  When I look at
the top level of the repo, either in browser or commandline, I see these
dirs in addition to my branches/trunk/tags dirs:

README.txt
SVN/
conf/
dav/
db/
format
hooks/
locks/

And I can interact with them.  We could do something like hide these
directories via mod_authz_svn configurations, but that seems strange.
Should these directories show up to clients or did we do something
wrong?  If they are supposed to show to clients, do most people leave
them available or hide them?

Thanks.

Re: SVN "control" dirs showing up to repo clients

Posted by Jamie Wellnitz <Ja...@emulex.com>.
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 04:38:37PM -0700, Jeff Barrett wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Figured this one out I think.  I got a bit suspicious when I noticed
> that our other repos don't exhibit this behavior and, as you will see in
> a moment, there are no revisions shown in db/revs.  I had a hunch that
> paid off -- check it out:
>
> jbarrett@firefly:~:0>svn log -v -r 290 https://firefly/svnrepos/general
> r290 | jdufour | 2006-02-28 08:45:04 -0800 (Tue, 28 Feb 2006) | 1 line
> Changed paths:
>    A /README.txt
>    A /conf
>    A /conf/authz
>    A /conf/passwd
>    A /conf/svnserve.conf
>    A /dav
>    A /db
>    A /db/current
>    A /db/format
>    A /db/fs-type
>    A /db/revprops
>    A /db/revprops/0
>    A /db/revs
>    A /db/revs/0
>    A /db/transactions
>    A /db/uuid
>    A /db/write-lock
>    A /format
>    A /hooks
>    A /hooks/post-commit.tmpl
>    A /hooks/post-lock.tmpl
>    A /hooks/post-revprop-change.tmpl
>    A /hooks/post-unlock.tmpl
>    A /hooks/pre-commit.tmpl
>    A /hooks/pre-lock.tmpl
>    A /hooks/pre-revprop-change.tmpl
>    A /hooks/pre-unlock.tmpl
>    A /hooks/start-commit.tmpl
>    A /locks
>    A /locks/db-logs.lock
>    A /locks/db.lock

Just after we rolled out SVN here, I had someone do this.  He read
some very helpful instructions.  They started with "svnadmin create"
and then explained how to check in.

He ended up checking in a new repository within his working directory.

Regards,
	Jamie

Posted by Jeff Barrett <jb...@finaplex.com>.
Hi Everyone,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 4, 2006, at 00:21, Andy Levy wrote:

> On 8/3/06, Jeff Barrett wrote:
>> We've got a 1.3.2 fsfs repository that we just put together.  It's
>> fronted by an apache 2.2 server with a SVNParentPath.  When I look at
>> the top level of the repo, either in browser or commandline, I see
>> these
>> dirs in addition to my branches/trunk/tags dirs:
>>
>> README.txt
>> SVN/
>> conf/
>> dav/
>> db/
>> format
>> hooks/
>> locks/
>>
>> And I can interact with them.  We could do something like hide these
>> directories via mod_authz_svn configurations, but that seems strange.
>> Should these directories show up to clients or did we do something
>> wrong?  If they are supposed to show to clients, do most people leave
>> them available or hide them?
>
> Something is wrong with your Apache configuration.  If you post your
> <Location> section corresponding to the repository(ies), someone can
> probably work it out pretty quickly.

Either that, or somebody actually checked those files into the
repository, which would have been an error.

Do you see those directories and files when you "svn ls" your
repository on the command line? If so, then someone checked them in.

Re: SVN "control" dirs showing up to repo clients

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> On 8/3/06, Jeff Barrett <jb...@finaplex.com> wrote:
>> We've got a 1.3.2 fsfs repository that we just put together.  It's
>> fronted by an apache 2.2 server with a SVNParentPath.  When I look at
>> the top level of the repo, either in browser or commandline, I see
>> these dirs in addition to my branches/trunk/tags dirs:
>>
>> README.txt
>> SVN/
>> conf/
>> dav/
>> db/
>> format
>> hooks/
>> locks/
>>
>> And I can interact with them.  We could do something like hide these
>> directories via mod_authz_svn configurations, but that seems strange.
>> Should these directories show up to clients or did we do something
>> wrong?  If they are supposed to show to clients, do most people leave
>> them available or hide them?
>
> Something is wrong with your Apache configuration.  If you post your
> <Location> section corresponding to the repository(ies), someone can
> probably work it out pretty quickly.

Also, never put your repositories in the same location as your standard
web-browsing. It just causes trouble.

For example, if your parent URL is for http://hostname/svn/repos/, and your
DocumentRoot is set to /var/www/html, never put your repositories in
/var/www/html/svn/repos/[repositorynames]. Always use a "Location" statement
to make the distinction between the repo location and the normal browser
locations clear.

I don't understand all the details of why, but this issue has been around
for a while, and seems to be why the defaults in the Linux RPM's point the
repo to a separate directory than /var/www/html/.

Re: SVN "control" dirs showing up to repo clients

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephan Zeissler <st...@moinz.de>.
Hi Jeff,

Thats absoutly NOT wanted. There should be some kind of misconfiguration
in your apache. Maybe you can post your SVN entry in the apache conf?

greetings,
 Stephan