Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Barclay, Lachlan" <La...@team.telstra.com> on 2005/03/18 07:26:51 UTC

tomcat throwing exceptions

Hi everyone,

I'm currently getting a tomcat exception showing up in my logs - I'm not
sure
if this is a Tomcat problem or not, so any suggestions would be great.

(I am using Tomcat 4.1.10, can't use 5 because of
what is running in production)

The exception is:

2005-03-18 17:15:19 StandardWrapperValve[UserPurchase]:
Servlet.service() for servlet zzz threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteResponseFacade.isCommitted(CoyoteRespons
eFacade.java:244)
	at
zzzz.servlet.HandleRequest.showMessage(HandleRequest.java:203)
(etc etc etc.)

Now the interested thing is that this is happening when I
am trying to load-test my app. I have written a small java program
to create 10 threads, and for each to make a HttpRequest
(all are the same), and to print out the corresponding HTML.
(I also wrote it in C# just to make sure that it wasn't the problem)

If I fire off a few requests, with a gap (200ms) in between, everyone
works fine.

But then if I quicken the delays to about 20ms, I start to
get these exceptions. It looks like Tomcat is thinking that
a request is part of a previous request, and then something
goes wrong.

Any suggestions would be really helpful, thanks very much guys.

LB