Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Courtney <sc...@sinenomine.net> on 2008/06/12 15:25:54 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] mod_ssl: creating self signed certificate on apache for multiple domains

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 18:37 +0530, Agnello George wrote:

>         Try re-creating your keys, but this time without entering a
>         passkey.
>         Otherwise you'll have to enter it each time you start Apache.
>
> how is that done i use the following command to create the
> certificate
> cd /usr/local/apache2/conf/
>
> openssl req -new -x509 -days 30 -keyout server.key  -out server.crt
> -subj '/CN=nokia.sys.qualiproj.com'
> Enter PEM pass phrase:
>
> How do i modify this command so that i should not be prompted for
> password !!

The openssl command will always prompt you for a password. The trick is
to *remove* the password afterward by passing the cert through openssl
again. I believe the command is like this:

openssl rsa -in server.crt -out server-nopasswd.crt

I'm working from memory here, so check this page (or Google for a
similar page) for details:

http://www.madboa.com/geek/openssl/#key-removepass

Kind regards,

Scott

--
Scott Courtney <sc...@sinenomine.net>
Sine Nomine Associates

Re: [users@httpd] mod_ssl: creating self signed certificate on apache for multiple domains

Posted by Scott Courtney <sc...@sinenomine.net>.
On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 15:57 +0200, André Warnier wrote:

> Agnello George wrote:
> >> The openssl command will always prompt you for a password.
>
> Just by curiosity : you cannot just enter <CR> for the pass-phrase I
> guess, or ?

With the versions I've used, it won't accept an empty passphrase on cert
creation, but will let you remove it later.

Scott

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Agnello George <ag...@gmail.com>.
> The openssl command will always prompt you for a password. The trick is
> to *remove* the password afterward by passing the cert through openssl
> again. I believe the command is like this:
>
> openssl rsa -in server.crt -out server-nopasswd.crt
>
> I'm working from memory here, so check this page (or Google for a
> similar page) for details:
>
> http://www.madboa.com/geek/openssl/#key-removepass

i was abel to solve my query i just followed instructions given on the
followin page.
http://www.kooty.net/?p=27

Thank you all !!