Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Will Gwaltney <Wi...@sas.com> on 2005/06/20 20:16:38 UTC

[m2]Any sign of Alpha 3?

I've been working for awhile on a maven 2 plugin for Cobertura, and have the basic functionality up and running.  So I thought I'd check with the list to see how alpha 3 is coming along, and how stable the plugin API's will be after the release.  I'm also whipping up an online article on how to write a Maven 2 plugin based on what I've learned.  I'd like to use alpha 3 as the baseline version, but I want to make sure things don't change out from under me too much after the article goes out.

So how goes it?  Will alpha 3 be out soon, and will the plugin API's change radically after the release? ("I don't know" is an acceptable answer... :-)

Will

Will Gwaltney
SAS Institute
Will.Gwaltney@sas.com
919-531-9025
"mathematics is not just a cultural activity that we ourselves have created, but it has a life of its own" - Roger Penrose

Re: [m2]Any sign of Alpha 3?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Will,

Wednesday is the plan. We just have a few things to finish off.

In summary for changes:
- alpha-2 plugins should work out of the box with alpha-3, both
pre-built and rebuilding the same code
- there are some deprecations: default values should be part of
@parameter, not a field initialiser for documentation purposes,
@executePhase has changed, but that's about it
- plugins built with alpha-3 will only run on alpha-3 and up. We should
be done in that regard, but can only guarantee backwards compat from
beta-1 onwards.

Hope this helps. We'd love to see the work you've done on the Cobertura
plugin.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [m2]Any sign of Alpha 3?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

another thing that might cause problems with backward compat for plugins
is the '@execute phase="something" lifecycle="something"' notation,
which produces an expectation of a separate MavenProject instance from
the forked lifecycle...see the maven-eclipse-plugin for more info on this...

I'll have to speak with Brett regarding this. I know he really wants our
plugins to work with alpha-2, so maybe we can find a way to allow these
plugins to use the parameters which will be available in alpha-2 on a
case-by-case basis...

- -j

Re: [m2]Any sign of Alpha 3?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.