Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Terry Tsai <ta...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/17 06:36:48 UTC

Multiple pairs of producers and consumers drags down speed?

I've developed a small routing application like camel.

In one test scenario, I have a producer sending messages to Queue1. Then a
consumer receives messages from Queue1 and directly pass them to Queue2.
Then a consumer receives messages from Queue2 and pass them to Queue3, and
so on. In the end, a consumer will receive these messages and drop them
directly. The initial producer sent 20000 messages continuously, and all
producers and consumers ran on the same pc. Only one activeMQ server was
processing and on another PC in the same local network.

I found that as more layers of passing messages are configured, the time
required from sending first message to receiving last message will increase.
In particular, it is roughly in proportion to the number of layers of
passing(or routing). But the memory and cpu usage on the machine running all
application kept low, so the bottleneck shouldn't be at application site. I
am wondering what is the main factor affecting the speed. It seems to me
there is a limitation on the number of messages per seconds that can be
handled by an activeMQ server.  If it is like what I thought, could I adjust
the limitation in config files?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,