Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by jbeall <jb...@heraldic.us> on 2007/08/17 00:55:18 UTC

Moving a subversion repository from one windows machine to another

Hi All,

I read in the docs that you can't simply move a Subversion repository from a
Windows machine to a Linux machine.  However, what about just copying the
files from one Windows machine to another Windows machine?  In my case, I'll
be going from Vista Business 32-bit to XP Pro 32-bit.  Anything I should be
worried about?  Can I just copy the files and then startup the svn server on
the XP Pro machine, and update all my working copies to point to the new
server?

  -Josh

Re: Moving a subversion repository from one windows machine to another

Posted by jbeall <jb...@heraldic.us>.

F.J. Weiland wrote:

> have you seen svnadmin dump?
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s03.html
>
> unless I'm mistaken, it is the "school solution" for migrating
> repositories from place to place in the situation you describe.

I hadn't seen that -- I'm a relative newcomer to Subversion, and there are
still lots of things I'm learning.

svnadmin dump and svnadmin load worked great.  I've got the repository up
and running on the new machine.

I didn't try just copying the repository folder; I'm moving from a Vista
Business on an AMD Athlon to XP Pro on an AMD Sempron, both 32 bit, so I
suppose I probably would have been ok just copying the files -- but I'd
rather do it right and avoid even the possibility of some problems down the
road!

Thanks!

Re: Moving a subversion repository from one windows machine to another

Posted by fj <fj...@effjay.com>.
jbeall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I read in the docs that you can't simply move a Subversion repository from a
> Windows machine to a Linux machine.  However, what about just copying the
> files from one Windows machine to another Windows machine?  In my case, I'll
> be going from Vista Business 32-bit to XP Pro 32-bit.  Anything I should be
> worried about?  Can I just copy the files and then startup the svn server on
> the XP Pro machine, and update all my working copies to point to the new
> server?
>
>   -Josh

Josh -
have you seen svnadmin dump?
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s03.html

unless I'm mistaken, it is the "school solution" for migrating
repositories from place to place in the situation you describe.

I did that myself among machines a few months ago, though for a very
small repository.

-fj

Re: Moving a subversion repository from one windows machine to another

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 16, 2007, at 19:55, jbeall wrote:

> I read in the docs that you can't simply move a Subversion
> repository from a
> Windows machine to a Linux machine.  However, what about just
> copying the
> files from one Windows machine to another Windows machine?  In my
> case, I'll
> be going from Vista Business 32-bit to XP Pro 32-bit.  Anything I
> should be
> worried about?  Can I just copy the files and then startup the svn
> server on
> the XP Pro machine, and update all my working copies to point to
> the new
> server?

If both machines are of the same processor architecture, then it
should be fine if you're serving FSFS repositories. If you're serving
BDB repositories, ensure that the version of BDB on the new machine
is the same as on the old machine. The new machine should have the
same or newer version of Subversion.

You can also dump and load, which is guaranteed to work always.