Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Karl-Philipp Richter <kr...@posteo.de> on 2017/05/10 12:31:15 UTC

Do developers and power users support stackoverflow.com solr tag?

Hi,
Do developers and power users (which are famous on the mailing list(s))
support the `solr` tag on stackoverflow.com? There's no definite answer,
I know, but someone might do an educated guess.

-Kalle

Re: Do developers and power users support stackoverflow.com solr tag?

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
On 10 May 2017 at 11:50, Karl-Philipp Richter <kr...@posteo.de> wrote:
> Would you (all) consider it useful to cross-post a SO question on this
> list?

I think most of the times, it would be more efficient to post
Solr-only questions on this mailing list in the first place. But
people who find SO somehow do not find the User Group list. I try to
drive them to the list when appropriate.

Importantly, SO also has a lot of Solr client questions that this list
does not specialize in (e.g. ruby/python-framework level question).
They probably will not get much answers here, but they also don't have
their own dedicated community either. So, SO is where they go.

I guess I could say that I answer SO questions because they are asked
there (and I focus the newbies) not because I think SO has caught on
as a good Solr forum.

Regards,
   Alex.

----
http://www.solr-start.com/ - Resources for Solr users, new and experienced

Re: Do developers and power users support stackoverflow.com solr tag?

Posted by Karl-Philipp Richter <kr...@posteo.de>.
Hi,

Am 10.05.2017 um 15:01 schrieb Shawn Heisey:
> I don't seek out questions on SO, but if one happens to come my way that
> I can answer, there's a good chance I will post.  Most of the time I see
> SO posts via some other medium, though -- like this list or the #solr
> IRC channel.  That kind of exposure makes it a little bit less likely
> that I will respond on SO.
Would you (all) consider it useful to cross-post a SO question on this
list? And if yes to leave it at the URL in order to profit from the
editing features of a Q&A (which is the reason they exist in the first
place and - more controversially - deprecate mailing lists to a large
extent - regardless of the still large popularity based on habits)?

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Just FYI.

The average number of Solr answers on SO is probably less than one.
Whether they get accepted even when answered is a different issue.

The questions do seem to have a larger back-and-forth (in comments)
than other topics though. That's something Mailing List is much better
for.

Finally, you can have SO Solr questions coming into your inbox. Just
subscribe to the tag, as explained in
https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/254318/how-to-subscribe-to-tags

Regards,
   Alex.
----

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by Karl-Philipp Richter <kr...@posteo.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
I just checked, and it has been 3.5 years since I’ve answered anything about solr on Stack Overflow.

It’s been 30 minutes since I answered something here.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
I think I am the only person answering both SO Solr tag and Mailing
List questions comparatively frequently. Less now than before, but I
still track SO it by subscribing to the solr tag newsletter. There are
some other strong users answering SO tag, but I don't think they are
on the Mailing List. Or they are dark here.

As an unrelated but fun fact, the ATOM DIH example coming up in Solr
6.6 (instead of broken RSS example) populates the collection from that
same SO Solr tag. So, we may get more attention then.

Regards,
   Alex.
----