Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill Parker <do...@netnevada.net> on 2005/08/08 04:23:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Building Load Balanced Web Site

Hi All,

    I would like some ideas on how people on this list build a web server farm (small to medium sized business).

The idea I have had for a while is to localize all of the web content to each web server (from a central file store)
via rsync, which would eliminate things like smbmounts and nfsd to make hard links across a LAN between
linux servers, and reduce the chance of the web site NOT being available due to a mount point failure.

Can the readers of this list give me some pointers on how they do it, so that I can present the ideas to management
(I don't like the idea of serving up content from a central server, due to the fact if the server dies, the website which
is dependent on the content will die as well).

Ideas?

Bill