Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/23 21:49:46 UTC

Propose eliminate "Versions of Major Components"

Our CHANGES.txt has "Versions of Major Components" as follows:

Versions of Major Components
---------------------
Apache Tika 1.23
Carrot2 3.16.0
Velocity 2.0 and Velocity Tools 3.0
Apache ZooKeeper 3.5.5
Jetty 9.4.24.v20191120

I think we should just eliminate this.  Some of this stuff is really in our
contribs, and some of those will be ejected soon.  But even for the others,
this sort of thing is pretty easy to figure out (e.g. version.properties or
simply *look* at the jar names).

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Propose eliminate "Versions of Major Components"

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
> Then realized jar files are a mess, just ask Dawid.

It is a mess. I don't quite understand many of these dependencies.

We can generate a file with all (or a subset) of versions from actual
dependency list during build time (gradle). This isn't a problem -- in
fact, it's already being done for solr manual.

D.

Re: Propose eliminate "Versions of Major Components"

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Does it make sense to mention where to look for the jars Solr uses? Or maybe just where the “major components” live?

The problem is that even leaving out things like contribs and test, it’s still confusing:

dist
dist/solrj-libs
server/solr-webapp/webapp/WEB-INF/lib
server/lib

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
Somewhat bigger scope:
SOLR-14149 - Remove non-changes from CHANGES.txt
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14149>

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Jetty version is printed early in the logs so should be easy to find if you don’t want to check the sources.

Looking in RefGuide for ZK version, there seems to be a bug, see https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/setting-up-an-external-zookeeper-ensemble.html#download-apache-zookeeper <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/setting-up-an-external-zookeeper-ensemble.html#download-apache-zookeeper>
The variable ${org.apache.zookeeper.version} is not expanded in the asciidoc… I opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14146 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14146>

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.