Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/13 16:27:39 UTC

Giving our PMs and contributors triage rights on GitHub

Hi all,

It just came to my attention that GitHub added a new "triage" access level
at the repo level.
https://github.blog/changelog/2019-05-23-triage-and-maintain-roles-beta/

In the past, we've identified that it was impossible for non-committers
(especially our PMs and contributors-that-are-not-yet-committers) to help
us triage issues, apply labels, assign reviews, close and reopen issues as
needed. It's really clear to me that we really need all the help we can get
in this area, and that not being able to involve more people into this
process hurts us, and is a clear operational downside of using the ASF
infra.

I'd like to build a case for this to become allowed by ASF infra. But
first, I'd love to see some +1s, and a list of GitHub handles for people in
our community who could make use of this feature.

More technically, I think the way to make that easy and painless would be
to add a new entry to the `.asf.yaml` file that would enable maintainers to
assign the "triage" role to whoever they see fit. For reference, here's
more context on that piece of automation I'd like to latch this onto here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/git+-+.asf.yaml+features

FYI, xposting this to general@incubator for their attention.

Max

Re: Giving our PMs and contributors triage rights on GitHub

Posted by William Barrett <wi...@preset.io>.
+1 - the PMs at Preset would be very helpful to the community if they had this level of access.

Will Barrett
Staff Software Engineer
Preset, Inc. | https://preset.io

Posted by Bence Orlai <be...@orlai.com>.
+1 as a PM at Preset

We would like to work on a public community roadmap, for which we need to
be able to label and organize issues in the repo

- sent from my phone

Posted by Bogdan Kyryliuk <b....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Junlin Chen <ju...@preset.io>.

Posted by Evan Rusackas <ev...@preset.io>.