Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Jeff Young <je...@adobe.com> on 2011/12/01 22:26:21 UTC

FW: Issue with DOS limitation in infinity.json servlet

The intent behind the limitation seems sound, but the implementation has (to my mind) a slight flaw.

A legitimate client which needs the information could presumably implement its own traversal to descend the tree.  But this only works if the json servlet is always allowed to return at least a depth of 1.  The current implementation limits the depth to 0 if the node in question has more than the limit number of children.

I was discussing this with Alex, who pointed out that the intent was to be defensive.  However, if we really want to limit the *number of children* a node can have, then we ought to do that elsewhere.  Given that a node *does* have a certain number of children, the json servlet needs to at least support the enumeration of said children.

So I'd like to propose that we amend the DOS-protection-algorithm to stop at 1, rather than 0.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff.

(PS: apologies if this gets sent out twice, but I think ezmlm ate the first posting because I hadn't yet cofirmed my subscription so I'm re-sending.)

Jeff Young | Principal Scientist | Adobe Distinguished Inventor
Adobe Systems Software Ireland Ltd.
Registered Office: 4-6 Riverwalk, Citywest Business Campus,
Saggart, Dublin 24, Ireland   Company No. 344992
P Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail.

Re: Issue with DOS limitation in infinity.json servlet

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Issue with DOS limitation in infinity.json servlet

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

I am inclined to agree, that the first level of child nodes to return should count into the overall limitation counter but should not be limited by that counter.

Thus the first level of child nodes is always returned (if only as "pointers" or entries) while starting with the second level, the limit is enforced.

Patch welcome, I might say ;-)

Regards
Felix

RE: FW: Issue with DOS limitation in infinity.json servlet

Posted by Jeff Young <je...@adobe.com>.
Hi Justin,

Yes, the customer could increase the limit, but realistically only after a support call.

But I'm more concerned about the component developer who wants to avoid that support call.  Their logical next step is to write their own single-level JSON JSP, and that seems like the platform letting them down.

Jeff.

Posted by Jeff Young <je...@adobe.com>.
I think it's this "know in advance that a tree is going to be big" concept
that we're currently running afoul of.

Let's say that I pretty much "know" that my tree will be small.  So I call
x/y/z.infinity.json.  All well and good.

And in another case, that I "know" that my tree is likely to be colossal,
so I implement a search rather than an enumeration.  Good again.

But in a third case, I "know" that my tree might be "large-ish", so I
implement a lazy walk in steps as needed (say, for instance, through a tree
control).  But if I can't make a single step, then I'm sunk.

One could argue that "large-ish" and "DOS" aren't really of the same
magnitude, and that we just need to raise the default limit.  In the tree
control instance, even with type-ahead searching it's hard to imagine it
being useful for 10,000 entries.  But it's clearly useful for 1000 entries
(I've got a customer to "prove" it ;) -- so maybe we just need to raise the
default to something like 8K (it's currently 1K).

But I still think limiting to one level is a cleaner solution.  If a single
level has enough nodes to produce a DOS attack, then it seems like you've
got more worries than x/y/z.1.json.

Jeff.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.