Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> on 2003/07/25 20:28:36 UTC

"svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved"

Lots of people agreed that "svn resolve" should change to "svn resolved" to better reflect its meaning and reduce confusion (thread "'svn revert' vs. 'svn resolve'").  Some people proposed additional changes, which I am not discussing here.

Does anyone strongly object to the change?

Does anyone really need the existing "resolve" to remain as a synonym for a while?  (GUI front-end developers, perhaps.)

I hope we can just make the change.  I know I will forget to add the "d" the first few times I try to use the new version, but it will be worth it.

[This reminds me of everybody's favourite change in the 1990 revision of ISO/ANSI C:
"'8' and '9' are no longer octal digits."]

- Julian

Commit access (was: Re: "svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved")

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>
>>...  Attached is one patch for documentation ... and ...
> Long ago, we offered you full commit access, and you turned it down
> because you weren't sure how much time you'd have to work on
> Subversion.  "That's okay," we said, "There's no obligation!"  But
> noooo, no, you wouldn't hear of it..
>
> :-)

OK, I can take a hint - when it is spoken through a megaphone.  Have applied for commit access.

But I must point out that my commitment to Subversion is ruled by the weather.  For the last two weeks it has been rainy so I have been at home, hence lots of Subversion activity (albeit in trifling details rather than the hard core).  As soon as the sun comes out I'll be off cycle-camping again - but this is England so that might not happen for ages :-)

Seriously, please forgive and revert any blunders I commit if I don't respond to e-mail.

- Julian

RE: "svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved"

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
[...]
> Okay, that's it, buddy.
>
> Long ago, we offered you full commit access, and you turned it down
> because you weren't sure how much time you'd have to work on
> Subversion.  "That's okay," we said, "There's no obligation!"  But
> noooo, no, you wouldn't hear of it..
>
> :-)
>
> Send me your tigris username & a password of your choice, and *you*
> can apply this patch.

+1!!  Assimilate^WInvite that sucker^Wnice guy ;) :)

Sander

Re: "svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved"

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
> OK, that was expedient.  Comparing with my effort, you caught a few
> places that I missed and vice versa.  Attached is one patch for
> documentation (including comments within Emacs .el files) and one
> for the API function "svn_wc_resolve_conflict".  The latter is
> separate because I'm not sure whether you skipped that change on
> purpose.  You can choose to apply just "resolve-resolved-doc.diff"
> (deleting the seconf half of the log message) or both patches (using
> the full log message).

Okay, that's it, buddy.

Long ago, we offered you full commit access, and you turned it down
because you weren't sure how much time you'd have to work on
Subversion.  "That's okay," we said, "There's no obligation!"  But
noooo, no, you wouldn't hear of it..

:-)

Send me your tigris username & a password of your choice, and *you*
can apply this patch.

Luv,
-Karl

Re: "svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved"

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Julian Foad wrote:

> Follow-up to r6597:
>
> * doc/book/book/ch03.xml, doc/book/book/ch06.xml, doc/book/book/ch08.xml
> * doc/book/book/appa.xml, doc/book/outline.txt
> * doc/translations/french/client.texi, doc/user/svn-ref.tex
> * tools/client-side/psvn/psvn.el, tools/client-side/vc-svn.el
>  The command is "resolved" now, not "resolve".
>
> * subversion/include/svn_wc.h
> * subversion/libsvn_wc/adm_crawler.c
> * subversion/libsvn_wc/adm_ops.c
> * subversion/libsvn_client/resolved.c
>  (svn_wc_resolved_conflict) Replaces svn_wc_resolve_conflict.

Committed as r6632.

- Julian

Re: "svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved"

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Fixing now...

OK, that was expedient.  Comparing with my effort, you caught a few places that I missed and vice versa.  Attached is one patch for documentation (including comments within Emacs .el files) and one for the API function "svn_wc_resolve_conflict".  The latter is separate because I'm not sure whether you skipped that change on purpose.  You can choose to apply just "resolve-resolved-doc.diff" (deleting the seconf half of the log message) or both patches (using the full log message).

Log message (delete the second half if "resolve-resolved-api.diff" not applied):
[[[
Follow-up to r6597:

* doc/book/book/ch03.xml, doc/book/book/ch06.xml, doc/book/book/ch08.xml
* doc/book/book/appa.xml, doc/book/outline.txt
* doc/translations/french/client.texi, doc/user/svn-ref.tex
* tools/client-side/psvn/psvn.el, tools/client-side/vc-svn.el
  The command is "resolved" now, not "resolve".

* subversion/include/svn_wc.h
* subversion/libsvn_wc/adm_crawler.c
* subversion/libsvn_wc/adm_ops.c
* subversion/libsvn_client/resolved.c
  (svn_wc_resolved_conflict) Replaces svn_wc_resolve_conflict.
]]]

- Julian

Re: "svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved"

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> cmpilato@collab.net writes:
>
>>No objections here.  In fact, every time I use the command I'm
>>suprised that we haven't made this change yet.
>
> Fixing now...

Oh, OK ... I've nearly finished a patch for this but I'm happy to check yours instead.  If you haven't got far into it and want to leave it to me that's fine; I'll post it this evening if the repository is working again.

- Julian

cmpilato@collab.net writes:
> No objections here.  In fact, every time I use the command I'm
> suprised that we haven't made this change yet.

Fixing now...

-K

Re: "svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved"

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>
> > Lots of people agreed that "svn resolve" should change to "svn
> > resolved" to better reflect its meaning and reduce confusion (thread
> > "'svn revert' vs. 'svn resolve'").  Some people proposed additional
> > changes, which I am not discussing here.
> >
> > Does anyone strongly object to the change?
>
> No objections here.  In fact, every time I use the command I'm
> suprised that we haven't made this change yet.

+1  .... do it, man, do it!

And don't forget to do an s/resolve/resolved on the documentation as
well (book, 'svn help', man pages).

Re: "svn resolve" becomes "svn resolved"

Posted by cm...@collab.net.