Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com> on 2010/06/30 06:57:30 UTC

Right Way to Upgrade Jar Files?

Hi Guys,

I am trying to widen my knowledge of OFBiz and so I started looked
though the jar files that we import from other projects.

There are a number which are not running the latest version e.g.
- lucene is 2.4.1 but latest stable is 3.0.2 even going back to the 2
branch the latest is 2.9.3
- ant is 1.7.1 but latest stable is 1.8.1
- freemarker is 2.3.15 but latest stable is 2.3.16
- log4j is 1.2.15 but latest stable is 1.2.16
the list goes on but I am sure you see what I mean.

For me keeping these up to date would mean that people would get less
errors when using OFBiz but my question is what would be the right way
to help get these upgraded?

I think it would go:
1. check mailing list if someone has tried to upgrade already and had
problems; if so ignore.
2. locally upgrade
3. run ant tests
4. test the function that these jar files do locally
5. jira issue
6. upload patch
7. wait for a committer to add into the project.
8. rinse and repeat

For ones like freemarker how do you know its working correctly? What
would you be looking for if the ant tests worked etc? I would check in
the log files for any error messages when using the system as a user but
beyond that what else can you check?

Cheers
Sam

Re: Right Way to Upgrade Jar Files?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
#3 is the sticking point.
as lately showed with jovolution.
we have no tests yet for the minilanq
there is a bug having to-do with math package interface and min still
not resolved that goes back to 9.04.
#4 would be the best test packages for upgrade
sort of like the push pop test to test cpu'sio6
that is a lot of work though.

for UI is Seleinium  but not much has been done are far as created
tests. this would test the visual stuff. I see a couple of man years to
get a good suite of tests.

in all of this is the factor of manpower.

Sam Hamilton sent the following on 6/29/2010 9:57 PM:

=========================
BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com>.
Hi Scott - in line

Cheers
Sam

On 30/06/2010 13:57, Scott Gray wrote:
> On 30/06/2010, at 4:57 PM, Sam Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I am trying to widen my knowledge of OFBiz and so I started looked
>> though the jar files that we import from other projects.
>>
>> There are a number which are not running the latest version e.g.
>> - lucene is 2.4.1 but latest stable is 3.0.2 even going back to the 2
>> branch the latest is 2.9.3
>> - ant is 1.7.1 but latest stable is 1.8.1
>> - freemarker is 2.3.15 but latest stable is 2.3.16
>> - log4j is 1.2.15 but latest stable is 1.2.16
>> the list goes on but I am sure you see what I mean.
>>
>> For me keeping these up to date would mean that people would get less
>> errors when using OFBiz but my question is what would be the right way
>> to help get these upgraded?
>>
>> I think it would go:
>> 1. check mailing list if someone has tried to upgrade already and had
>> problems; if so ignore.
>> 2. locally upgrade
>> 3. run ant tests
>> 4. test the function that these jar files do locally
>> 5. jira issue
>> 6. upload patch
>> 7. wait for a committer to add into the project.
>> 8. rinse and repeat
>
> Sounds pretty accurate.  Ideally instead of ignoring #1 we'd try and solve the issue or at least create a jira to track it.
>
>> For ones like freemarker how do you know its working correctly?
>
> For minor release upgrades we shouldn't have too many problems since they're typically just bug fixes but if we can still render a template after trying a few of them out then we should be in good shape.
>
>> What would you be looking for if the ant tests worked etc?
>
> Not entirely sure what you mean.  The ant tests only hit a very small portion of the codebase so the odds of getting a false positive are pretty high.

I meant what else would you check next if 1. ant tests worked 2. logs
looked ok and 3. user function test the changed file. Or does that cover
almost all possible ways to find the error.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.