Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Magnus Bodin <ma...@lists.bodin.org> on 1998/09/03 13:49:22 UTC

umlauts and ISO-8859-1 in conf-files?

The Apache server is tremendously generic with scandinavian characters,
but will it eventually be possible to use iso-8859-1
characters in configurefiles, especially in domain-directives,
directory directives and url-rewrite rules?

This urls:  http://åäö.x42.com/
            http://x42.com/åäö.html

is perhaps not "valid" by rfc means but it works with dns 8.1 and
all commercial proxies.

 As far as I know it does not with squid proxies, is there any other
holistic problems?

Please test the urls above and report any misbehaviors off list if you like.

/magnus

Re: umlauts and ISO-8859-1 in conf-files?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@Apache.Org>.
Magnus Bodin wrote:

> The Apache server is tremendously generic with scandinavian characters,
> but will it eventually be possible to use iso-8859-1
> characters in configurefiles, especially in domain-directives,
> directory directives and url-rewrite rules?

In terms of printable non-ISO-Latin-1 characters in URLs,
I believe Apache 1.3.1 handles them correctly now.  As for
directives in config files..  have you tried them?  I don't
know if they'll work or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if
they also are treated correctly as of 1.3.1 as a result of
the same change.  They won't collate correctly, but I don't
think that matters for directives.

#ken	P-)}