Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by sw <sl...@earthlink.net> on 2003/03/20 17:40:09 UTC

help with possible memory leak

Hi!  I have a question about memory usage by velocity.
I'm using velocity-dep-1.3.1-rc2.jar with tomcat-4.1.18.  i have a
servlet that extends VeloctiyServlet. I'm putting a number of pretty
complex objects in the context, and it seems that many of the references
to the objects created by introspection are not being removed because of
references to RuntimeSingleton.
(i'm sort of a newbie at detecting memory leaks, so bear with me.)  i'm
using optimizeIt (at least until my trial is over in 2 days), which
shows what seems to be an enormous amount of references to velocity
objects like ASTProcess, etc.
(i'll be glad to give anyone a look at the output from the profiler if
it will help.
it may be related to the thread "need to remove references to
RuntimeSingleton"
http://www.mail-archive.com/velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05738.html
yes, a year back, but it sounds sort of like the issue i'm facing now.

I read something in the "Other Context Issues" section of the Velocity
developer's guide that is related to velocity appearing to leak memory
in certain circumstances.  The guide suggests turning on template
caching, which i did, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

thank you.

--suzanne