Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Hodge, Jeff F (ECIII)" <Je...@yuma.army.mil> on 2003/08/06 03:33:22 UTC

the installation nightmare continues

Taking a step or two back I have started the process over again.  I have
created my download directory for a non-root user and built and compiled
perl 5.8.0, which went smoothly and passed all of the tests along the way.

This brings me to mod_perl.  I opted to build apache staticly, and use the
makepl_args.mod_perl file that Ged (tks ged) had suggestion.  Reading
through the mod-perl install site
(http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html), it actually made a lot
more sense after the suggestion.

I'm having issues running make test for mod perl.  Since Apache is staticly
built, it needs to be running in order to test mod perl.
<snipet>
make test fails
You cannot run make test before you build Apache, so if you told perl
Makefile.PL not to build the httpd executable, there is no httpd to run the
test against. Go to the Apache source tree and run make, then return to the
mod_perl source tree and continue with the server testing.
</snippet>

So I built, tested and made apache with:
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
$ make
$ make install
$ usr/locall/apache/bin/apachectl start   (started fine)

Running make test for mod perl gives: server failed to start! please examine
t/logs/error_log
This looks like its apache test server is not working, but apache is tested.
compiled, built and started.  I ran into this error before I compiled
apache, and it made sense why I was getting the error, but now that this is
"fixed" it shouldn't be a problem.....
I'm I missing something?
also I checked modperl/t/logs/error_log where mp test should write to (and
says that it is), but there is no log file....

Re: the installation nightmare continues

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

> So I built, tested and made apache with:
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
> $ make
> $ make install
> $ usr/locall/apache/bin/apachectl start   (started fine)

try letting mod_perl do the heavy lifting - mod_perl will build both itself
and apache if you let it.

after unzipping both apache and mod_perl sources to the same local root
(say, ~jeff/src) just cd to the mod_perl directory and...

edit makepl_args.mod_perl:

   APACHE_SRC=../apache-1.3/src
   APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache
   DO_HTTPD=1
   USE_APACI=1
   EVERYTHING=1
   APACI_ARGS=--enable-module=rewrite
   APACI_ARGS=--enable-module=so
   (add whatever modules you want here)

then (as non-root user)
$ perl Makefile.PL
$ make
$ make test

and you should be good to go.

in addition to the perl.apache.org install doc, this might help:

http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch01.pdf

HTH

--Geoff