Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Litrik De Roy <li...@litrik.com> on 2002/08/04 14:22:20 UTC

Thanks for fixing JARs in HEAD

Vadim,

Thanks for putting older (yet working) versions of Xalan and Xerces back
into the HEAD CVS.

The other JARs were completely broken. Now I'm able to build, deploy and use
HEAD again.

I was close to switching back to a 2.0.3 version/release/branch.

Litrik De Roy
www.litrik.com

Re: Thanks for fixing JARs in HEAD

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
> > No offense, Vadim!! ...but just rolling back will not make us move
>
> forward.
>
> :)
> :
> > Other bugs are now back as well. I have invested some time upgrading
>
> to get
>
> > some bugs fixed.
>
> /me puzzled
> What was the issue with old xerces?

they shipped their 2.0 version with a broken AttributesImpl. Which is very
annoying because for some of our transformers I had to replace it against a
fixed one. Someone stated there were some more ugly bugs that already got
fixed in CVS and asked me to use the CVS version.

> > Obviously other (major) bugs were introduced. Sorry for that
> > - but the examples were working fine for me.
>
> Huh? For everybody else (me included) they were returning empty pages!

I tried with tomcat 4.1.x and resin 2.1.x on windows and linux :-/

> > I'd really like to have a newer xerces within HEAD. So I suggest
>
> tracking down
>
> > the problem(s) should be the way to go...
>
> I'm not sure were the problem was, it might be xalan. But, OTOH, I'm
> using only saxon here (it was real "enabling technology" for me, 2-3
> times better performance), and fixed some issues with it already
> (including xpath support),

haven't yet tried saxon... maybe should.
but my focus was actually xerces.

> and I'm sorry, I don't have enough bandwidth
> to tackle xerces/xalan issues.

:-/ same here...

...and it's frustrating to see the time I have already invested wasn't enough.

> > Of course I will help as good as I can..
>
> You can find out what's the problem with xerces/xalan was. And, when all
> samples are working, nobody will object if you upgrade them.

> PS Why don't wait for the next release instead of using CVS versions?

see above...
--
Torsten

RE: Thanks for fixing JARs in HEAD

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Torsten Curdt [mailto:tcurdt@dff.st]
>
> On Monday 05 August 2002 18:40, Ugo Cei wrote:
> > Ugo Cei wrote:
> > > - HSQLDB connection works
> >
> > Ahem ... sort of. It sometimes works, sometimes not. In order to
have it
> > working reliably I had to remove the hsqldb-server element from
> > cocoon.xconf and start hsqldb manually from the command line before
> > starting Cocoon.
> >
> > Looks like there is a race condition between the startup of hsqldb
and
> > the opening of the connections in the "personnel" pool.
>
> No offense, Vadim!! ...but just rolling back will not make us move
forward.

:)

> Other bugs are now back as well. I have invested some time upgrading
to get
> some bugs fixed.

/me puzzled
What was the issue with old xerces?

> Obviously other (major) bugs were introduced. Sorry for that
> - but the examples were working fine for me.

Huh? For everybody else (me included) they were returning empty pages!

> I'd really like to have a newer xerces within HEAD. So I suggest
tracking down
> the problem(s) should be the way to go...

I'm not sure were the problem was, it might be xalan. But, OTOH, I'm
using only saxon here (it was real "enabling technology" for me, 2-3
times better performance), and fixed some issues with it already
(including xpath support), and I'm sorry, I don't have enough bandwidth
to tackle xerces/xalan issues.

> Of course I will help as good as I can..

You can find out what's the problem with xerces/xalan was. And, when all
samples are working, nobody will object if you upgrade them.

PS Why don't wait for the next release instead of using CVS versions?

Vadim

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Monday 05 August 2002 18:40, Ugo Cei wrote:
> Ugo Cei wrote:
> > - HSQLDB connection works
>
> Ahem ... sort of. It sometimes works, sometimes not. In order to have it
> working reliably I had to remove the hsqldb-server element from
> cocoon.xconf and start hsqldb manually from the command line before
> starting Cocoon.
>
> Looks like there is a race condition between the startup of hsqldb and
> the opening of the connections in the "personnel" pool.

No offense, Vadim!! ...but just rolling back will not make us move forward.

Other bugs are now back as well. I have invested some time upgrading to get
some bugs fixed. Obviously other (major) bugs were introduced. Sorry for that

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> I filed a bug against Excalibur (spell check insist on capital letter ;)
> already. Can you help fixing it or escalate it?

No, sorry, not enough time. I can just do my best to test if it's fixed.

	Ugo

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it

RE: Thanks for fixing JARs in HEAD

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
> Can someone else please confirm that HEAD is back in good shape?

Looks good enough to me. Namely:

- Element content in XSP is copied to the output
- HSQLDB connection works
- No more NPEs when changing XSL stylesheets.

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Can someone else please confirm that HEAD is back in good shape?

Thanks Vadim.

Ivelin