Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com> on 2010/08/23 11:07:05 UTC

Committer List

Hi all,

Stealing the approach from here;

http://www.justatheory.com/computers/tricks/list-all-svn-committers.html

Here's a list of our SVN committers.

btmurphy
bvenners
fbarnaby
foliver
jcosters
jhurley
jukka
marbro
pdp8
peter_firmstone
peter_jones
ramirjf
resendes
rscheifler
thobbs
vinod

This is only a list of people who have performed a commit operation.  If
there are committers who haven't committed yet, then they won't be on this
list.  Can anyone think of any committers who fit that description?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Committer List

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
There's a list checked in at Apache of the formal committers. I'll find it.

Part of the graduation process is to find out who on this list is
still in the game.

Re: Committer List

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Bob Scheifler wrote:
> On 8/23/2010 12:10 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> Anybody no longer active should be
>> contacted and polled to see if they should removed.
>
> Please remove me.
>
> - Bob

Hi Bob,

Just thought I'd mention that I consider the Jini proxy trust security
mechanisms a very clever solution to a very difficult problem, so thank
you, for what it's worth ;)

Peter.

Re: Committer List

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Bob Scheifler <rs...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 8/23/2010 12:10 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> Anybody no longer active should be
>> contacted and polled to see if they should removed.
>
> Please remove me.

You have now been marked as an emeritus committer and I've disabled
your svn access. Just let us know if want to get more involved again,
and we'll be happy to restore your active committer status.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Committer List

Posted by Bob Scheifler <rs...@comcast.net>.

Re: Committer List

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.
I'm here.   But have been thinking for some time that I should go emeritus.  Please move me to the emeritus list.

Thanks,
Nige

Re: Committer List

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Brian Murphy <bt...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Fred Oliver           Last seen Mar 2008
>

> For what it's worth, Fred has been quite active on the list
> lately; in which he has been partaking in a number of very
> interesting (at least to me) exchanges with Peter Firmstone.
> So, I'd hate to see a decision made that is based on inaccurate
> information.
>
> Brian

Yes, you're absolutely right.  My bad on that one.  Sorry Fred.

Re: Committer List

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
No one is interested in previous affiliation. I would be most grateful
if everyone would edit this to reflect their personal current
situation.

The Incubator rule is 'not too dependent on one company.' There's no
bias here; there would have been just as large of a question mark of
12 people had all worked for any other company. If the current reality
is a mixed bag of nuts, that means, AFAIKT, that this project is just
about ready for graduation.

We also have a couple of new committers according to mail from Jukka,
perhaps someone can add them?

Re: Committer List

Posted by Brian Murphy <bt...@gmail.com>.

Update committer list

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

Chances are this will have the effect of reducing the ratio of
> Sun/Oracle affiliations to others, which will make it easier to
> graduate.

For what it's worth, none of the people on Zukka's updated
commiter list above are affiliated with Sun, nor are they
affiliated with Oracle; and haven't been for quite some time.
If a committer's affiliation with a given company is going to
affect the decision of whether or not a project can graduate,
then it seems like it's probably important to update all committer
affiliations with the latest information before making such a
decision.

With respect to this specific case (river graduation), since I've
seen numerous (sometimes biased) references to the Sun
affiliation of the various committers, I'm wondering how long
after a committer leaves a company that a such an affiliation
no longer affects graduation. Does the process address this
question, either directly or indirectly?

For example, with respect to Hadoop and its sub-projects
(specifically, Zookeeper), what was the ratio of Yahoo! developers
to non-Yahoo! developers? And if that ratio was high, what
allowed those projects to graduate? I ask because I see
(anecdotally, based on the Zookeeper developer list traffic)
about the same number of active Zookeeper posters/committers
as I do on the river list.

Re: Committer List

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

Re: Committer List

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Going from Benson's official list, here are the stats for the committers
(according to the dev list archive)

Bill Venners          Last seen Jan 2008
Bob Scheifler         Withdrawn Aug 2010
Brian Murphy          Last seen Mar 2010
Dan Creswell          Withdrawn Jan 2009
Frank Barnaby         Last seen Dec 2009
Fred Oliver           Last seen Mar 2008
Geir Magnusson Jr     "Stepped back" Apr 2007
Gianugo Rabellino     Last seen Jan 2008
Jim Hurley            Last seen Aug 2010
Jim Waldo             Last seen Apr 2010
John McClain          Last seen Dec 2009 (pdp8)
Juan Ramirez          Last seen Dec 2007 (ramirjf)
Mark Brouwer          Last seen Jan 2010
Nigel Daley           Last seen Oct 2009
Peter Jones           Last seen Oct 2009
Phil Steitz           Last seen Sep 2007
Robert Resendes       Last seen May 2008
Ron Mann              Last seen Mar 2008
Vinod Johnson         Last seen Feb 2008

jcosters              Active
peter_firmstone       Active
thobbs                Active (ish)

No SVN login for Niclas, Jukka or Benson; is that correct?

(My apologies if I've got a few dates wrong, mail archives all seem to look
the same if you spend long enough searching for names!)

So same question, do I reach out to each one privately, or just put a note
on Dev asking for anyone who want to remain to reply?

Re: Committer List

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Committer List

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.