Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com> on 2013/11/13 04:21:01 UTC

Question on mail list support in James 3.0

I have been waiting for a LONG time now to upgrade my James mail server
to 3.0 as I would like to use an IMAP server instead of a POP3 server.
But I cannot upgrade as long as there is no support for mail lists,
which I need. According to the Apache James website this is not yet
available. My question is will it be supported and if so, when is the
ETA? Just curious...

    Marc...

--
"The Truth is out there" - Spooky

Re: Question on mail list support in James 3.0

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
Thanks Eric for your response. Kinda sucks for us as we have written a
bunch of custom mailets to support our mails lists but rely on having
the core functionality for mail lists available. We will probably have
to abandon James at this point and find an alternate technology. It has
been a good mail server for us for many years now, thanks to the group
for all the work that was done. Sigh..

    Marc...

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
On 11/17/2013 07:20 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Marc Chamberlin
> <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>wrote:
>
>> But I cannot upgrade as long as there is no support for mail lists, which
>> I need.
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> What functionality do you want?Mailing lists?. Can´t this be handled by an
> external server like mailman and the like?. Or is this a feature of IMAP?.
Hi Fernando -  Mailing lists and IMAP are very different features of a
mail server and have little to do with each other. A lot of my users
want IMAP because it provides a centralized storage point for emails and
allows for a consistent view of what is in a users mail store regardless
of where, from, or how it is accessed.

A simple mail list could be handled by any number of external servers
such as mailman. But in our case, we have used mailets to tie the James
server with some Apache/Tomcat web servers to do things like automatic
postings of newsletters and mail sent to a mail list, to one of several
different websites as well. The use of mailets is what attracted us to
James in the first place as it provided us with this sort of integration
capability between mail lists and websites. This also works in reverse,
users can post to our mail lists from a website as well, and servlets
pass the postings back to James where mailets are used to further
process the posting before sending it on to a mail list.

We also have some additional functionality provided by the mailets that
work in conjunction with the James mail list manager that allow users of
special mail lists to send requests to a remote telescope server for
processing. We could probably switch that out, but using mail lists gave
us some additional security over who can access the telescope. But
changing that feature will involve quite a bit of code rework.

So the bottom line is that without support for mail lists, we are faced
with either supporting two different servers for two different purposes,
or we will look around for another platform that is capable of
supporting customizable mail list processing and hopefully IMAP as well.
My team and I are looking into alternative solutions now. I do not know
for certain if we will continue to use James or not, but dropping the
mail list feature certainly will be a blow to us and will require a lot
of work to recover from it.

     Marc...

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Marc Chamberlin
<ma...@marcchamberlin.com>wrote:

> But I cannot upgrade as long as there is no support for mail lists, which
> I need.

Hi Marc,

What functionality do you want?Mailing lists?. Can´t this be handled by an
external server like mailman and the like?. Or is this a feature of IMAP?.

Sorry for the question.... I never heard of "lists" in the context of a
mail server. But then I´m only an IMAP user, never ran my own server.

FC
act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell