Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Reynir Hübner <re...@hugsmidjan.is> on 2003/06/15 15:09:37 UTC

OFFTopic: Jsp vs velocity templates

Hi,

I am wondering about the performance difference between Velocity templates and JSP.

A test made by Rickard Öberg in Aug. 2001, was showing the difference being :

>     JSP - 240-480ms
>     Velocity - 50-70ms

Since a lot has changed in tomcat and jsp.

Has anyone any figures on what the difference is right now ?
Is velocity still a lot faster ?

Thanx,

-reynir

Re: OFFTopic: Jsp vs velocity templates

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
I have not run benchmarks (or use velocity) but velocity will probably still
be faster. Velocity will run faster on tomcat 3 than tomcat 4 or 5. This is
mainly due to constraints imposed by the servlet specification that extra
checks need to be done as well as certain assumptions (don't ask can't
remember) don't hold for servlet spec 2.2 vs 2.3 and 2.4.

Of course since 2001, computers speeds have increased so running the same
benchmark on a newer computer might skew the results.

Since the introduction of JSTL (and better support for EL in JSP2.0) - I'd be
curious to see rewritten pages(to reflect enhancements made to both display
models) and a new benchmark.

-Tim