Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by do...@bakerbotts.com on 2007/07/05 17:48:06 UTC

FW: isolated W

This may have already been addressed, but is there a released rule set
or add-on that would help in identifying these type of stock spam
emails?

We use MailScanner 4.59.4 (MailScanner-v: 3.002000 Mail::SpamAssassin),
SpamAssassin 3.2 (SpamAssassin -V), Perl 5.8.5, DCC, Pyzor.  We run
sa-update and RulesDuJour for automatic updates.

We turned off Razor since it was causing delays in processing mail.

In MailScanner, we turned off SpamHaus since we process too much email -
it appears it was just raising the score of high spam:  'Spam List =
SBL+XBL'

We also use milter-greylist during the hours of 10 PM and 5 AM.  We use
milter-null (snert) to reduce bounce backs.

We receive about 300k emails a day with about 70% identified as spam.
We deliver about 5% of the suspected spam (score below 5).

We added URIBL checks to our mailscanner.cf file:

urirhssub       URIBL_BLACK  multi.uribl.com.        A   2
body            URIBL_BLACK  eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_BLACK')
describe        URIBL_BLACK  Contains an URL listed in the URIBL
blacklist
tflags          URIBL_BLACK  net
score           URIBL_BLACK  3.0

urirhssub       URIBL_GREY  multi.uribl.com.        A   4
body            URIBL_GREY  eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_GREY')
describe        URIBL_GREY  Contains an URL listed in the URIBL greylist
tflags          URIBL_GREY  net
score           URIBL_GREY  0.25

I am considering adding the botnet plugin from:
http://people.ucsc.edu/~jrudd/spamassassin/Botnet.tar and possibly
adding fake MX entries.

We use BAYES, but we don't feed spam or ham so it may have little help.

Here are the cf files we use in /etc/mail/spamassassin:

00_FVGT_File001.cf           70_sare_highrisk.cf  70_sare_stocks.cf
72_sare_bml_post25x.cf         bogus-virus-warnings.cf  random.cf
70_sare_adult.cf             70_sare_html0.cf     70_sare_unsub.cf
72_sare_redirect_post3.0.0.cf  chickenpox.cf            sa-update-keys
70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf  70_sare_html_eng.cf  70_sare_uri0.cf
88_FVGT_body.cf                init.pre                 tripwire.cf
70_sare_evilnum0.cf          70_sare_obfu0.cf     70_sare_uri_eng.cf
88_FVGT_rawbody.cf             local.cf                 v310.pre
70_sare_genlsubj0.cf         70_sare_oem.cf       70_sare_whitelist.cf
88_FVGT_subject.cf             mailscanner.cf           v312.pre
70_sare_genlsubj_eng.cf      70_sare_random.cf
70_sare_whitelist_rcvd.cf  88_FVGT_uri.cf                 mangled.cf
v320.pre
70_sare_header0.cf           70_sare_specific.cf
70_sare_whitelist_spf.cf   99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf       pdfinfo.cf
weeds.cf
70_sare_header_eng.cf        70_sare_spoof.cf     70_zmi_german.cf
bakerbotts.cf                  popcorn_new.cf

Any input on our configuration would be appreciated - this is a great
forum!

Donald

Donald Dawson
Security Administrator
Baker Botts L.L.P.
713-229-2183

--------------------------

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 17:08:48 +0200
From: Curry <fx...@ubs.com>
To: donald.dawson@bakerbotts.com
Subject: isolated W

Posted by "Martin.Hepworth" <ma...@solidstatelogic.com>.
Donald

Just got in something very similar and it scored thus..

cached,
	score=6.311, required 5, BAYES_50 0.00, BOTNET 5.00,
	FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D 0.67, HOST_MISMATCH_COM 0.31,
	IP_NOT_FRIENDLY 0.33)

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Red Lion 49 Ltd T/A Solid State Logic
(Company No:5362730)
United Kingdom

RE: isolated W

Posted by "Martin.Hepworth" <ma...@solidstatelogic.com>.
Create a file with the email in it...(eg spam.txt) then run spamassassin
over it...

Spamassassin spam.txt

--
Martin Hepworth