Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Stuart Grimshaw <sg...@ebuyer.com> on 2006/09/28 11:12:38 UTC

Indexing a single product in multiple categories.

We have an existing lucene based search, and a recent change to the way we
organise our products has caused a bit of a problem for search results.

Our products are arranged into subcategories, categories & stores. A product
can only be in 1 subcat or cat, but a cat can be in multiple stores. We only
index the primary cat because historically the multiple store feature was
depracated.

Obviously I don't want to simply add another row to the index for each store,
as it would skew the results, especially when displaying a count of the
results, I can't add a new column for each store, because I don't know how
many stores it's going to be in.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Stuart Grimshaw
Developer
ebuyer.com

Re: Indexing a single product in multiple categories.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Is my only option here really going to be to add some more colums? I've slept
: on it over the weekend, and not had any more bright ideas ... ?

I have to admit, i dont't relaly udnerstand your problem ... you speak of
Products and Stores and Categories and Primary Categories and wondering
how to put all of that data in your index -- but you never discuss what
acctually matters: what do you want to do?  what is the point?

if i search for "foo" do you want to tell me all the products that match
"foo" ? do you want to tell me all of the product/store pairs that match
"foo" ... do you wnat to be able to search for products matching "foo"
confined to a particular store?  what differnce does it make that a
category can be in multiple stores?

-Hoss

Re: Indexing a single product in multiple categories.

Posted by Stuart Grimshaw <sg...@ebuyer.com>.