Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/29 16:29:38 UTC

How to handle translated code in NOTICE, LICENSE

We are about to release version 2.0 of commons-math, which includes some
code that is derived from C and Fortran sources.  The original sources
are licensed under ASL-compatible licenses.  We have added appropriate
notices to our NOTICE file.  Our question is a) do we need to reproduce
the licenses in LICENSE and b) if we do,  what do we tell the user about
how the LICENSE relates to their use of our code?

Currently,  we say this
--------------------

APACHE COMMONS MATH SUBCOMPONENTS:

The Apache commons-math library includes a number of subcomponents with
separate copyright notices and license terms. Your use of the source
code for the these subcomponents is subject to the terms and
conditions of the following licenses.

--------------------------

That does not seem correct to me, since we are not actually distributing
the original sources.  I have proposed this:

----------------------------

APACHE COMMONS MATH DERIVATIVE WORKS

The Apache commons-math library includes a number of subcomponents
whose implementation is derived from orgininal sources written
in C or Fortran.  License terms of the original sources
are reproduced below.

-----------------------------

Is the second OK or is yet a third thing correct?

Thanks!

Phil

Re: How to handle translated code in NOTICE, LICENSE

Posted by Phil Steitz <ps...@apache.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> IANAL.
>
> To answer this question I'd have to see the original licenses. For
> example, take a look at section 4 of our Apache License 2.0 that
> describes requirements for redistribution of derivative works. If
> there is a similar redistribution and attribution section you would
> have to follow it.
>
> So if the original work were licensed under the Apache License 2.0,
> you would need to include the license in the LICENSE file of the
> derivative work, and in the NOTICE describe the copyright notices of
> the original work. And if the original work has its own NOTICE, then
> these original NOTICEs also need to be included in the derivative NOTICE.
>
> What I'd add to the notice below is a description of exactly which
> commons subcomponents are derived from exactly which original works.
Thanks, Craig!

We are planning on appending all of the original licenses and we have
added the NOTICES.   I agree we should make it explicit which classes
depend on which original sources and we will do that.

Phil

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Phil,