Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com> on 2017/10/04 09:09:11 UTC

Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling

Dave, Christoph, Łukasz, hello, Eureka!

I think I have good news :) I think, now, I have good info which are
helpful for Struts structural decisions and what and how we can do in
Struts about asynchronous!

After about one month fooling my computer ;) I think I can update this
thread as below (you may skip to "## My elementary idea" if not
interested in details):

# Why not doing Strut's internal processes asynchronously e.g. via akka?

because ... "Hardware is cheap", Bozho says. Bozho has one year
experience and his article at [1] convinced me. He says: "...given the
unclear benefits (if any), I would say that programming, testing and
supporting the code is the main distinguishing feature. Whether you are
going to be able to serve 10000 or 11000 concurrent users from a single
machine doesn’t really matter. Hardware is cheap. (unless it’s 1000 vs
10000, of course) ... But why is the non-blocking, asynchronous,
event/message-driven programming paradigm harder? For me, at least, even
after a year of writing in that paradigm, it’s still messier. First, it
is way harder to trace the programming flow. With a synchronous code you
would just tell your IDE to fetch the call hierarchy (or find the usage
of a given method if your language is not IDE-friendly), and see where
everything comes and goes. With events it’s not that trivial. Who
constructs this message? Where is it sent to / who consumes it? How is
the response obtained – via callback, via another message? When is the
response message constructed and who actually consumes it? And no,
that’s not “loose coupling”, because your code is still pretty logically
(and compilation-wise) coupled, it’s just harder to read".

# So, what can we do in Struts about asynchronous?

This was my main question! I was wondering how does Servlet 3's Async
API make sense ever?! I played with tomcat and I made Strut's filter
completely async and played a lot with them but could not sense any
improvement! ACTUALLY I THOUGHT THERE IS NO NEED FOR SERVLET 3'S ASYNC
API AT ALL because I saw I can increase container (e.g. tomcats)'s
thread pool size and get same results!! so I started a discussion with
tomcat's team ended at [2]. Then I found out I should search for a use
case which is not implementable at all without Servlet's async api and
yes, I found one at [3].

## The sample use case

Special thanks to Gonçalo Marques who has introduced an "Effective usage
of Asynchronous Servlets" at [3]. Suppose I have a site developed by
Struts and then I want to stream a big file (e.g. an one hour movie) to
remote clients. In this one hour, the site may have thousands of clients
in a given time so I cannot solve this by increasing tomcat's thread
pool size to thousands (e.g. my os cannot handle this lot of threads)!
Instead, I would like round-robin among current connected clients and
send chunks of n bytes one by one in each round; this is where Struts
crys :)

## My elementary idea

I would like to try if I can implement following and if it works: I will
define a new Interface named AsyncResult which has a method named
clock() which returns false if the Result has finished the whole job.
Whenever Struts saw an AsyncResult, it starts an async request via
Servlet 3's async API, then passes that to an internal thread pool named
StrutsAsyncResultsThreadPool (SARTP), then executes a null result
instead. From that side, SARTP always round-robins among AsyncResults
and calls their clock()s and completes async and removes them from list
if clock() returned false :)

With Best Regards,
Yasser.

[1] https://techblog.bozho.net/why-non-blocking/
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/users@tomcat.apache.org/msg127134.html
[3] http://www.byteslounge.com/tutorials/asynchronous-servlets-in-java

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.

On 10/9/2017 12:56 PM, Christoph Nenning wrote:
> I'd rather have just a very thin wrapper around servlet api, like so:
> - actions might be declared async, this causes struts to call
> request.startAsync()
> - applications using that must use their own threads to do work (as with
> servlet api)
> - it should still be possible to use all struts results
> - we need some mechanism for the action to trigger result execution and
> cleanup of async context (result may run in application managed thread as
> well)
>

> This would mean there is not too much and not too complicated code in
> struts. Applications which would like to use servlet api async context
> could do so and still use struts concepts like interceptors, results or
> ognl. It is up to the application to gain something of async, as it is
> with servlet api.

Yes I see. However, it seems execAndWait interceptor already can do a
similar work. I think the lack of support is at result side and upload
side. I thought If I define three phases: upload, action and result, and
define S as short time and L as long time (spends process), then we have
8 states from SSS to LLL. For example:

LLL: a lot of users want to upload video and download converted one
SSL: a lot of users want to download specific files (download server)
SLS: seems execAndWait interceptor can handle this one

I even thought I can have 16 states by defining if result is dependent
to action or not :)

Moreover, maybe this is not as simple as it appears too, I guess. Struts
is a filter and user may use other filters before or after. To satisfy
servlet3, we should immediately release current thread back to container
when async action reached, so, what we should pass as result to back
interceptors and filters now? maybe null result and save original result
somewhere waiting for action back but we lose thread local attached data
:( and currently I'm not sure what happens when we execute a result in
separate empty thread!

If @dev agree I have an idea. For first step, what do you think to
level-up it to filter level (as it already is)? When I was playing I had
developed a modified filter below and saw it works! (except a few
special cases like when user has request scope spring bean). User can
put async actions in a specific namespace then map those to this filter
instead setting async-support to true. Below is some simple codes of
this filter (all params can be changed to get by a filter-param):

public class StrutsExecuteFilter {
     public final int REQUEST_TIMEOUT = 240000;
     private ExecutorService exe;

     @Override
     public void init(FilterConfig filterConfig) throws ServletException {
if(async-supported && async){
         int size = 41;
         exe = Executors.newFixedThreadPool(
                 size,
                 new ThreadFactory() {
                     public Thread newThread(Runnable r) {
                         return new Thread(r, "Struts Async Processor");
                     }
                 }
         );
}
         //Strut's current init codes
     }

     @Override
     public void doFilter(final ServletRequest req, final
ServletResponse res, final FilterChain chain) throws IOException,
ServletException {

         //Strut's current codes

         if (mapping == null || recursionCounter > 1) {
             boolean handled =
execute.executeStaticResourceRequest(request, response);
             if (!handled) {
                 chain.doFilter(request, response);
             }
         } else {
             //I ADDED THESE
             final AsyncContext context = req.startAsync();
             context.setTimeout(REQUEST_TIMEOUT);

             context.addListener(new AsyncListener() {
                 public void onComplete(AsyncEvent asyncEvent) throws
IOException {
                 }

                 public void onTimeout(AsyncEvent asyncEvent) throws
IOException {
                     context
                             .getResponse()
                             .getWriter().write("Request Timeout");
                 }

                 public void onError(AsyncEvent asyncEvent) throws
IOException {
                     context
                             .getResponse()
                             .getWriter().write("Processing Error");
                 }

                 public void onStartAsync(AsyncEvent asyncEvent) throws
IOException {
                 }
             });
             exe.execute(new ContextExecution(context, mapping));
         }
     }

     @Override
     public void destroy() {
         exe.shutdown();
         //Strut's current destroy
     }

     class ContextExecution implements Runnable {

         final AsyncContext context;
         ActionMapping mapping;

         public ContextExecution(AsyncContext context, ActionMapping
mapping) {
             this.context = context;
             this.mapping=mapping;
         }

         public void run() {
             try {
                 execute.executeAction((HttpServletRequest)
context.getRequest(),
                         (HttpServletResponse) context.getResponse(),
mapping);

                 context.complete();
             } catch (Exception e) {
                 e.printStackTrace();
             }
         }
     }
}

:) I love it

Sincerely Yours,
Yasser.

Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.

On 10/23/2017 4:07 PM, Christoph Nenning wrote:
> YAY!
> Congrats :)

Thank you :) I became very excited when I saw it works. I would like to
say it works as you wished before. Do you remember you wished a
mechanism to wake up Struts for resuming? That is
AsyncContext.dispatch() which wakes up Strut's servlet to resume :)

> Would it be possible to have servlet-api 3 as optional dependency?
It seems a good idea! I'll try and I think it should be possible
theoretically. Thanks a lot, Christoph!

Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.

On 10/23/2017 4:07 PM, Christoph Nenning wrote:
> Would it be possible to have servlet-api 3 as optional dependency?

I tried but cannot work. Currently javac cannot union same classes in
same paths ;) Maven says I pick first found class (i.e. cannot pick
union of classes).

> I'm not so happy with reflection but it is ok to get it working initially.

With thanks to Łukasz, he pointed out a good thing, abstraction by a
plugin. I thought more and saw reflection maybe makes core somehow
rough-and-tumble. Now I'm going to go with a plugin named
struts-servlet3-plugin. I'll improve the core side-by-side when needed
but carefully I'll keep modularity. The positive point is in future we
are able to import further supports of Servlet3 into that plugin :)

Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.

On 10/26/2017 12:09 PM, Yasser Zamani wrote:
> With thanks to Łukasz, he pointed out a good thing, abstraction by a
> plugin. I thought more and saw reflection maybe makes core somehow
> rough-and-tumble. Now I'm going to go with a plugin named
> struts-servlet3-plugin. I'll improve the core side-by-side when needed
> but carefully I'll keep modularity. The positive point is in future we
> are able to import further supports of Servlet3 into that plugin :)

With thanks to Strut's amazing design, I could add a partial support for
Servlet3's Async API, clean and with a few changes :) It's at [1]. It's
helpful for SLS (Short upload, Long action, Short result). Now, further
supports could be added to struts2-servlet3-plugin in future.

With special thanks to Łukasz and Christoph,
Yasser.

[1] https://github.com/apache/struts/pull/179

Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
> > I would add an abstraction to cover direct need for Servlet 3.0 Async
> > API. I don't know how do you want to implement this (directly in the
> > Core or via a plugin) but having such abstraction give us flexibility
> > and allows use different implementations.
>
> Today I successfully got an async result from my local branch of Struts
> :) In this branch I did not change and keep Servlet 2.4 dependency but
> created a wrapper which invokes Servlet 3's API via reflection. Works as

> WW-4874's description.

YAY!
Congrats :)

> That works but somehow is not awesome so I decided not pull requesting
> it now. I should do one thing before this. I discovered, currently,
> action invocation and result execution are hardly coupled in Struts. For

> example DefaultActionInvocation not only invokes action but also calls
> pre-result listeners and executes result!
>
> So, at first, I will be working on separating coupled action invocation
> and result execution while keeping same functionality as before.

+1

> Then, after merge of above as a PR, if I could have robust
> implementation (e.g. timeout and etc listeners) via reflection, then I
> will PR against core, else against plugins.
>
> wdyt?

I'm not so happy with reflection but it is ok to get it working initially.
Would it be possible to have servlet-api 3 as optional dependency?

Regards,
Christoph

This Email was scanned by proofpoint

Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.
After some studies on Strut's internals, Servlet 3's spec, other
framework's internals and a few blog posts, I think I'm good to go for
SLS case (Short request processing, Long action execution, Short
response processing) :)

I putted this on monitor at [1].

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-4874

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Nice :)

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
> Servlet API 3.0 is needs Java 6. As far as I remember Struts minimal
> requirements are also Java 6. I do not see anything hindering us in
> upgrading Struts officially to Servlet API 3.0?

This isn't a case with Java 7 but rather how many users are still
using Servlet containers running Servlet API 2.4 - switching to
Servlet API 3.0 requires not only migrate an app but the whole
container as well.

> Am I wrong? Would this need a considerable rework of Struts? If not, I
> feel we definitively should upgrade.
>
> Will Struts be able to cope with http2? Does it already or what needs to
> be adapted?

It's a container duty in this case, I don't think we need to worry too much.

Regards

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
Hi,

According to wiki it was intended to switch to servlet-api 3 with struts
3:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Struts+Next

But IMHO we could use servlet api 3 already for struts 2.6.

Regards,
Christoph

> > After some studies on Strut's internals, Servlet 3's spec, other
>
> > framework's internals and a few blog posts, I think I'm good to go for

> > SLS case (Short request processing, Long action execution, Short
>
> > response processing) :)
>

> > I putted this on monitor at [1].
>

> > [1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?

u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_WW-2D4874&d=DwIGaQ&c=Fge86U5Za1d7PUAcaTHoag0MToOH_fWpqWSEoP8Euxo&r=bhwpU3tY8LKDHlRyFCdvxI7HbJ1xsDcYiAovW3HVyCQ&m=K3AcqGd_Nely2wsJK-

ujtMJOkPUtRPmz2FLPbfrFUVQ&s=3FkJEwzIKyXn7tA06-iBPJcci_a9Ea0IIhzbQOWuEH0&e=

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.
Am 21.10.2017 um 14:51 schrieb Yasser Zamani:
> With thanks to Struts good design, fortunately, it was not as hard as I
> thought and I almost finished :)
>
> Just one blocking problem :( Currently Struts is on servlet-api 2.4. I
> remember Struts 2.6 will have servlet 2.5. And so so ... As I need
> servlet 3, I have to wait for Struts 3 ?! :/
>
> I thought about keep Struts dependencies unchanged and doing my needed
> calls via reflection which enables user to use async actions if
> underlying container supports.
>
> Any solution, objections or idea please?

Servlet API 3.0 is needs Java 6. As far as I remember Struts minimal
requirements are also Java 6. I do not see anything hindering us in
upgrading Struts officially to Servlet API 3.0?

Am I wrong? Would this need a considerable rework of Struts? If not, I
feel we definitively should upgrade.

Will Struts be able to cope with http2? Does it already or what needs to
be adapted?

Markus

Re: Support for actors/asynchronous request handling

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
Hi,

> there is no gain (with current modern containers e.g. tomcat)

the whole async topic seems to cycle around this issue :)

> Overall I think it's not as simple as it appears and needs advanced
> knowledge in http, servlets, filters and Strut's internals.

Oh yes, think so too!
I also think that all this complicated stuff is of no use to anyone.

u=http-3A__www.byteslounge.com_tutorials_asynchronous-2Dservlets-2Din-2Djava&d=DwIGaQ&c=Fge86U5Za1d7PUAcaTHoag0MToOH_fWpqWSEoP8Euxo&r=bhwpU3tY8LKDHlRyFCdvxI7HbJ1xsDcYiAovW3HVyCQ&m=KgPxjmeVndyxKa_NFD9huA_6FZr2Wcoz43ZQ2LS0qq8&s=Wc2UOKbE8W0rHgz15Zk4VeqilB5RSR-
> [...]
threads)!

> >> Instead, I would like round-robin among current connected clients and
>

> >> send chunks of n bytes one by one in each round; this is where Struts
>

> >> crys :)
>

> >> ## My elementary idea
>

> >> I would like to try if I can implement following and if it works: I
will

> >> define a new Interface named AsyncResult which has a method named
>

> >> clock() which returns false if the Result has finished the whole job.
>

> >> Whenever Struts saw an AsyncResult, it starts an async request via
>

> >> Servlet 3's async API, then passes that to an internal thread pool
named

> >> StrutsAsyncResultsThreadPool (SARTP), then executes a null result
>

> >> instead. From that side, SARTP always round-robins among AsyncResults
>

> >> and calls their clock()s and completes async and removes them from

u=https-3A__techblog.bozho.net_why-2Dnon-2Dblocking_&d=DwIGaQ&c=Fge86U5Za1d7PUAcaTHoag0MToOH_fWpqWSEoP8Euxo&r=bhwpU3tY8LKDHlRyFCdvxI7HbJ1xsDcYiAovW3HVyCQ&m=UymdpIJhi9JlVdJ3Q5PXM4fmf04chnC2k_zmm_e3c34&s=KZYyvDyyRISY5wtEiFbldFeYvsJqkJCIxZ7STi6-

u=https-3A__www.mail-2Darchive.com_users-40tomcat.apache.org_msg127134.html&d=DwIGaQ&c=Fge86U5Za1d7PUAcaTHoag0MToOH_fWpqWSEoP8Euxo&r=bhwpU3tY8LKDHlRyFCdvxI7HbJ1xsDcYiAovW3HVyCQ&m=UymdpIJhi9JlVdJ3Q5PXM4fmf04chnC2k_zmm_e3c34&s=EMp9cbtU1NzCax8ek6dFya1Q6JTvg4aMHqDzbrA0Tb4&e=

u=http-3A__www.byteslounge.com_tutorials_asynchronous-2Dservlets-2Din-2Djava&d=DwIGaQ&c=Fge86U5Za1d7PUAcaTHoag0MToOH_fWpqWSEoP8Euxo&r=bhwpU3tY8LKDHlRyFCdvxI7HbJ1xsDcYiAovW3HVyCQ&m=UymdpIJhi9JlVdJ3Q5PXM4fmf04chnC2k_zmm_e3c34&s=pAFnD6Ifkg5N8refQEScIgY8n-

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.

[1] http://www.byteslounge.com/tutorials/asynchronous-servlets-in-java

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
Hi,