Posted to user@struts.apache.org by mahanare <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/19 07:08:08 UTC

Pagination with struts 2.x

Hi,

What is the best approach to display database table content page wise using
struts 2?

We used display tag few years back, but there seems another taglib pager
taglib.

Is pager tag lib a better option or is there any inherent support in struts
2 for paging?

Thanks
harinath

Re: Pagination with struts 2.x

Posted by dusty <du...@yahoo.com>.
displayTag is not terrible when working with Struts properties....these days.
Remember that you can get to stuff on the value stack via JSTL expressions
as well.  Which works well with displayTag.

Mileidys Gonzalez Prieto wrote:

> I recomend jMesa... is very good and is possible to do pagination with
> Ajax using limits.
>
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 05:37 -0700, mahanare wrote:
>> FYI,
>> just recording my experience here.
>>
>> I looked at displaytag it looks good but if there are some minor changes
>> (it
>> encodes property names etc so when you post for sort/pagination, setting
>> the
>> structs 2 action properties is difficult) other wise it looks simple.
>>
>> Also I looked at jqGrid using jquery, it might take some effort but we
>> really get flashy UI. Also there is some thing called hdpagination
>> another
>> taglibrary.
>>
>> at the end as we have some complex stuff, we decided not to use these
>> libraries and write code on our own to meet our specific requirements.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Harinath
>>

>> Chris Pratt wrote:
>> >
>> > One very popular option is DisplayTag (http://www.displaytag.org/).
>> >   (*Chris*)

>> pager

Re: Config-browser properties tab broken (2.1.6)

Posted by mu...@aol.com.
 Forgot the jsps -- sorry!

=====
<%@ taglib prefix="s" uri="/struts-tags"%>

    <head>
        <title>Add Music Recording</title>
    </head>
        <h3>
            Enter New Music Recording Details
        </h3>
            <s:form action="add-music-recording.action">
                <s:select label="Select A Category" name="category" headerKey="1"
                    headerValue="-- Please Select --"
                    list="#{'Classical':'Classical', 'Jazz': 'Jazz', 'Pop':'Pop'}" />
                <!-- Some editors will issue warnings here. You can ignore them.
                Under JSP 2.1 the # character is now used by the JSP EL  but Struts 2
                uses it differently -->
                <s:textfield label="Title" name="title" size="30" maxlength="30" />
                <s:textfield label="Artist" name="artist" size="30" maxlength="30" />
    C2           <s:textfield label="Price" name="price" size="8" maxlength="8" />
                <s:submit value="Add" />
            </s:form>

======

<%@ taglib prefix="s" uri="/struts-tags"%>
    <head>
        <title>Music Recording Added Successfully</title>
    </head>
        <h3>
            Music Recording Added Successfully
        </h3>
                <s:label label="Title" name="title" />
                <s:label label="Category" name="category" />
                <s:label label="Artist" name="artist" />
                <s:label label="Price" name="price" />

=====

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
I think we should throw an exception, but that would break backward
compatibility. It will still create a page but the implementation is a
little bit different.

musachy

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>.

Posted by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>.
musomesa@aol.com wrote:
> execAndWait in 2.1.6 gives the following exception when it kicks in: (code pasted below)
>

> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
> ??? java.util.Collections$UnmodifiableMap.put(Collections.java:1285)
> ??? org.apache.struts2.interceptor.ExecuteAndWaitInterceptor.doIntercept(ExecuteAndWaitInterceptor.java:256)

Not sure why the problem is occurring, but looking at that section of
code suggests having a real "wait" result rather than letting struts
auto-build one for you should be a workaround for the bug.

-Dale

ExecuteAndWaitInterceptor not working (2.1.6)

Posted by mu...@aol.com.
execAndWait in 2.1.6 gives the following exception when it kicks in: (code pasted below)

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
??? java.util.Collections$UnmodifiableMap.put(Collections.java:1285)
??? org.apache.struts2.interceptor.ExecuteAndWaitInterceptor.doIntercept(ExecuteAndWaitInterceptor.java:256)
??? com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:87)
??? com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
??? com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor.doIntercept(ParametersInterceptor.java:195)
??? com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:87)
??? com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
??? org.apache.struts2.impl.StrutsActionProxy.execute(StrutsActionProxy.java:52)
??? org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.serviceAction(Dispatcher.java:468)
??? org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher.doFilter(FilterDispatcher.java:395)
??? org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
??? org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
??? org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
??? org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
??? org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
??? org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
??? org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
??? org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
??? org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:845)
??? org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
??? org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
??? java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

CODE:

Input JSP: (WEB-INF/content/all/index.jsp

<%@ taglib prefix="s" uri="/struts-tags"%>

??? <head>
??? ??? <title>Hello World</title>
??? </head>
??? <body>
??? ??? <h3>
??? ??? ??? Enter Your Name
??? ??? </h3>
??? ??? <div>
??? ??? ??? <s:form action="say-hello">
??? ??? ??? ??? <s:textfield label="Name:" name="userName" size="30" maxlength="30" />
??? ??? ??? ??? <s:submit value="Submit" />
??? ??? ??? </s:form>
??? ??? </div>
??? </body>

============
Configuration (struts.xml)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE struts PUBLIC
??? "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 2.0//EN"
??? "http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-2.0.dtd">

<struts>
??? <constant name="struts.enable.DynamicMethodInvocation" value="false" />
??? <constant name="struts.devMode" value="true" />
??? <constant name="struts.convention.classes.reload" value="true" />
??? <constant name="struts.convention.action.disableScanning" value="true" />
???
??? <package name="all" namespace="/all" extends="struts-default">
??? ??? <action name="say-hello" class="actions.all.SayHelloAction">
??? ??? ??? <interceptor-ref name="params" />
??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? <interceptor-ref name="execAndWait">
??? ??? ??? ??? <param name="delay">1000</param>
??? ??? ??? ??? <param name="delaySleepInterval">50</param>
??? ??? ??? </interceptor-ref>
??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? <result name="success">/WEB-INF/content/all/say-hello-success.jsp
??? ??? ??? </result>
??? ??? </action>
??? </package>
</struts>

=======

Action (actions.all.SayHelloAction.java)

package actions.all;

import java.util.Date;

public class SayHelloAction{

??? private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;

??? private String userName;

??? public String execute() throws Exception {
??? ??? wasteTime(10000);
??? ??? return "success";
??? }

??? public String getUserName() {
??? ??? return userName;
??? }

??? public void setUserName(String userName) {
??? ??? this.userName = userName;
??? }
???
??? private void wasteTime(long time){
??? ??? long start = new Date().getTime();
??? ??? while(new Date().getTime()-start < time){
??? ??? ??? try {
??? ??? ??? ??? Thread.sleep(100L);
??? ??? ??? } catch (InterruptedException e) {
??? ??? ??? ??? e.printStackTrace();
??? ??? ??? }
??? ??? }
??? }
}

=====

Output page (WEB-INF/content/all/say-hello-success.jsp)

<%@ taglib prefix="s" uri="/struts-tags"%>
??? <head>
??? ??? <title>Hello Success</title>
??? </head>
??? <body>
??? Hello <s:property value="userName" />
??? </body>

Cheers
Chris M.

RE: About File UploadSizeLimitExceededException

Posted by "Shannon, Andrew" <an...@pqa.com>.
I can't remember where I found this information its been so long since we added the configuration.  And now I'm not sure if its right.  But I do recall that when we added the property to struts.xml for:

<constant name="struts.multipart.maxSize" value="2097152"/>

that the value was a magic number.  Again, I just don't recall why.  We haven't hit the limit yet, but I'm going to test it now and see what happens.

Thanks,
Andrew

Posted by Burton Rhodes <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mageshwaran <ma...@dhyanit.com>.